• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy Prep Any Tips For My Daughter

Hi all, my daughter is having a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks. I am thinking back to the first time she had one and how difficult it was with the two day liquid only prep. Any tips on making the prep easier for her? . The first day of prep will be a Friday and she still wants to attend school that day.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've only ever done a 1 day liquid diet, then take the prep that night (I try for a morning appointment always!!!).....I usually try to eat lightly the day before that.

What type of prep instructions were you given? Sometimes just having clear candy to suck on (no red/purple) can be a huge help.....

I've only ever done a 1 day liquid diet, then take the prep that night (I try for a morning appointment always!!!).....I usually try to eat lightly the day before that.

What type of prep instructions were you given? Sometimes just having clear candy to suck on (no red/purple) can be a huge help.....
Hi Lisa, luckily we have an early appointment. Prep is liquid only two days before the procedure. Can include jelly, squash. Milkshakes. Unfortunately my daughter doesn't like milkshakes. So I think it will be lots of jelly.

my little penguin

Staff member
Never heard of that
And Ds has had 7-8 scopes by this point since age 7
One day of prep
Light breakfast (toast single egg early am )
Then lots of miralax /Gatorade plus laxative all day long
Any clear fluids (no purple blue green red ) are allowed as extra
Next morning scope

crohnsinct

My daughter just had her first two day prep.

First day - regular diet and 64 ounces of clear beverage with Miralax in it. 2 Doculax

Second day - no food, clears only and 64 ounces of clear beverage with Miralax in it. 2 Ducolax. Allowed any clear fluids, jello, ices, broth only etc.

My daughter had a hard time drinking all her ounces with food the first day so just stopped eating.

It is weird that they are allowing milk products as both my daughters have always been told that is a no/no. Pretty much no protein what so ever the second day.

We do 2 day prep using a product called Pico-salax.

First day prep can include regular diet minus nuts and seeds. 2nd day only clear fluids.

Kids take 4 packets of prep over 2 days.

Could never go to school with this kind of prep.

crohnsinct

Wanted to add that my daughters do go to school the first day of their prep on clears only but that is because they don't start drinking the "clean out concoction" until 12 noon. After that point they have to drink every 15 minutes to half hour. No time for school at that point so they do half day of school and then home to prep.

I find it really interesting to read how all our consultants work differently. My daughter will have the two day liquid and jelly diet and on the second day will have a very gentle laxative. That will be one dose in the morning and one at night.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter just had a two day prep.

She has used Miralax and Gatorade in the past (Miralax is called Movicol in the UK, I think) + Dulcolax. That prep didn't clean her out enough. It was one day of prep with a light breakfast and the laxatives starting at 12 pm.

This time, we did sort of a two day prep. One week prior to the procedure, we started a low residue diet and also added 1-2 capfuls of Miralax daily. The day before the procedure - NO breakfast (that was a big change) and clear liquids all day. Only had broth, popsicles, jello and clear juice. Well, and Pedialyte and water.

We started Golytely in the evening - like 4 pm. We did 64 oz that evening.

The next morning (and by morning I mean from about 2-4 am), we did another 64 oz of Golytely. Apparently a split dose prep works better but she still wasn't cleaned out enough. Her prep was called "fair."

So I guess we need a plan C, since plan B failed!

In the past, with a 1 day clear liquid diet/Miralax prep, my daughter went to school in the morning. Not with every scope, but with most of them. Since we didn't start prep till 12 pm anyway, she preferred to go to school - that way, she only missed lunch and 2 classes.

I'm surprised they are allowing milk as that isn't usually allowed.

We try to push as many fluids as possible - that way they feel sort of "full" instead of hungry. I'd do that, especially the day she is attending school. I'd send her with several options - broth in a thermos, jello and a popsicle for lunch etc.

I'd even experiment with different milkshakes before the prep - there may be a flavor that she can tolerate. You can change the taste by adding strawberry syrup, honey, maple syrup etc. Keep it cold and use a straw - that will mask the flavor. You can also put it in a Zoku slushie maker - look it up on Amazon.