• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy prep, why does it have to be sweet????

Just drinking my second lot of Klean-prep which is salty/sweet with vanilla, ew! Why do they add the vanilla?? Or the sugar?? It just makes me more nauseous!

I've taken the anti-emetic but I really do wonder why everything needs to be sweetened and flavoured. The psyllium I get on prescription, Konsyl-D, is also sweetened, it really doesn't improve anything and it cuts down on options when you want to cook with it etc.

I now get other psyllium which has no additives and I find it much more palatable, anyone else have the same issue with sweeteners and flavourings??

fuzzy butterfly

Omg the vanilla kleen prep is the most vile thing iv ever had to taste. Your poor soul my heart goes out to you. Never will i drink that again. If iv got to take prep again im asking for plain one its far more palateable. I was given it at hospital once n it was better by far. Good luck with prep n hope you get some answers n help after suffering that darn stuff. Best wishes 💕

my little penguin

Staff member
We always do miralax ( movicil in UK ) plus ducolax tabs with Gatorade
The adult Gi I saw for a routine scope tried to give me some weird prep
I then ask if I could just use miralax /ducolax plus gaterade
The office said is wasn't a problem they use that prep as well a lot
Sometimes you just have to ask

Good luck for your scope

Scipio

I do find that the flavored preps go down easier if they are ice cold. I add crushed ice to mine. Seems to help with the foul taste.

Well I survived again. Didn't manage to finish all the prep but that didn't seem to be an issue. I did ask about alternatives and the nurse said they had something with an orange flavour that most people didn't like either.

Not sure if miralax is available here, I'll do some research.

He did a balloon dilation in two places and saw some inflammation so it was worthwhile at least.
Looking forward to seeing if the dilation will help some, wouldn't that be nice!

I got colo prep when i had to prep in hosp, thats so horrible cant get that stuff down made me very sick not even with sprite or apple juice did it taste better, had to close my nose drink it quikly and sugar afterwards which still didnt help

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Vanilla sounds disgusting. You can't even mix it with a Coke (too much dye and not really clear) and have a vanilla Coke combo. I think drinking savory flavors that are also salty would probably be a bit odd. Unless they were bacon or A1 Sauce flavored then I might be able to drink it. :shifty-t:

I always mix my prep with some sort of clear soda (the flavor depends on the prep) yet I can't think of anything that would go ok with vanilla. What were they thinking? :yrolleyes:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Flavored psyllium??! That sounds horrendous. I didn't even know that was an option, I've only ever gotten plain. Glad to hear you were able to find plain psyllium.

Although I will say, even with no flavor, I hate cooking with psyllium. :p It seems to make every dish have a weird texture. My husband made pudding with it once, and it was slimy and globby and just odd, it almost seemed alive like a slug or something. There was a definite slug-like quality to it. Not a delicious texture to say the least, it was too weird to eat. I honestly have yet to come across a dish that is improved by adding psyllium to it. I normally just drink my psyllium in a glass of plain water. What recipes do you add psyllium to? Maybe I just haven't tried the right recipes.

I've only recently discovered the plain psyllium so haven't cooked with it yet but I am planning to use it to thicken sauces and maybe in bread.

I don't really have a sweet tooth so never had any inspiration to put it in anything sweet but I probably would have used it in a pudding! Good to know, I won't be trying that.

Oh, I made my partner sip the klean prep without telling him what it was and he spat it out without thinking!:ack: It was hilarious :D just had to share some of my fun, luckily he had to laugh too:biggrin:

(month late, but still...)

YUCK, that does sound disgusting! I really don't understand as well. I really get naseous of ingesting anything that are medicinal and/or I don't find appetiting (even cough syrup, effervescent tablets in water, etc.), and that definitely includes prep fluid!

The first one I had, didn't taste like vanilla (luckily!!), but still pretty sweet... Like most of you I cooled it and I added some blackberry syrup. Sounds weird, I know, that makes it even sweeter, but it was already sweet and the blackberry taste was MUCH better than the taste without it. And I used a straw: just put the straw at the very back of your mouth and take as many gulps as possible until you're out of breath :ylol2: That way I (a) almost didn't notice the taste, and (b) the glasses were getting empty much faster than I anticipated! So what I thought was gonna be one of the worst experiences of my life, actually turned out to be not THAT bad :tongue: