• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy prep

Hi everybody,

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow at 2:45pm
They want me to do the powder 3 times. At noon and 6pm today and again at 5am tomorrow. I've done the first packet, and I'm having an awful time already. Cramps, nausea, headache, burning, hunger pains
I'm going through a flare as it is. The diarrhea isn't bothering me but all the pter things make me feel like I might die

Has anyone else had these problems? Do you think I could get away with just doing it twice? I feel awful!

Thanks!

I have my first colonoscopy tomorrow and I am quite scared but from what I hear the prep is the worst bit. I have managed 3 sachets of Klean prep and don't think I can swallow anymore but I still don't think my bowels are empty. How did u you get on?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
You really need to have clear bowels - or as clear as you can get them....some doctors 'allow' a little more than others (they can flush you out some while doing the scope)....however you want whatever comes out to be as clear as possible....

Yes, preps suck.....just be glad you don't have to go through it every week or every day!

Good luck with the scope!

Thanks,I'm sure it will all be fine once it's over and done!i am just concerned I have take the clean prep over too long a period of time for it to work properly but I'll persevere!

Prepping stinks! But, yes just be glad its not a weekly or monthly thing. It stinks for us all. Thoughts your way, good luck...it will be done before you know it! :)

I have my first colonoscopy tomorrow and I am quite scared but from what I hear the prep is the worst bit. I have managed 3 sachets of Klean prep and don't think I can swallow anymore but I still don't think my bowels are empty. How did u you get on?
Hi, how long do you have to prep for? I was supposed to do 3 sachets of pico-salax, 2 times the dat before the colonoscopy and 1 the morning of. I only did 1 the day before and 1 the day of, and everything seemed fine. i just said that I did all 3, and they didn't say anything to me. My colon looked completely clean on the monitor so I think it was fine.

I had a morning appointment so I took Klean prep for about 6hours the night before.i only took three sachets and I couldn't keep the fourth one down but everything was runnin clear by then and my colonoscopy went fine.