• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy Prep

Hi everyone!

I have my first ever colonoscopy coming up at the beginning of March . My GI prescribed the 4 Litre Bowel Prep (peglyte/colyte). I have heard from family member experiences that it’s a lot to handle and can cause nausea and vomitting even in people who don’t have the issues we experience. I have a pretty weak stomach and was wondering if there’s any alternative to taking the 4 litre prep? I don’t eat much as is in the first place.

cmack

Staff member
I didn't get sick either, but it was a bit yucky. I can't remember the exact kind I had though. If you are concerned, you could call the doctors office and ask about it. There may be other types of prep available for you, possibly something like what Ron had with the Gatorade. I hope all goes well, good luck.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I would definitely ask about doing the miralax prep.....I have found that one to be the least awful....I used to do the golytely prep which was awful...always ended up throwing up about half way through.

I've done it a couple of times before and I think everyone is different when it comes to taking the prep. It's definatly a big challenge for anyone to drink it as fast as they say in the instructions. It can make you feel unwell but it's definitely worth it for a colonoscopy. I usually drink mine with equal measures of lime cordial which makes it miles more palatable. I also found if I felt sickly or about to burst to just drink it slowly and take my time making sure after and inbetween drinking the 4 litres I drunk as much water and fluids as I could. I hope this can offer you some help :)

I had a colonoscopy 3 weeks ago. They had me drink Miralax (the whole large 14 daily dose bottle). They said to combine it with 64oz of Gatorade but I just used water instead. It smells a little bit like rubber but it's pretty much tasteless. I didn't have much trouble with it. It was a lot to drink yes, but they had me split it in two portions, one the evening before, one the morning of. I drank a cup every 15 minutes. No nauseau, no pain going in or out.

Trysha

Staff member
Golytely is anything but....I ended up in hospital with IV Meds due to this...the next day the GI persisted in doing the colonoscopy and upper endoscopy.he found the esophagus was narrowed due to stricture and widened it....with balloon endoscopy.
The colon had severe stricture and he had great difficulty with the scope...resorted to the tiniest paediatric scope and finally succeeded in widening the colon...thus avoiding surgery
for which I am so grateful.
After this it was like a dam burst and I had continual bathroom visits for the two days following the procedures.
Needless to say I finally felt better at that time.
Currently I am having problems again and hope there is not a scope in my future.
I will never take golytely again.
In previous years I had Miralax and it was so easy to take...only two cups...worked really well.
Not allowed for me any more due to renal failure...which is likely due to BP Meds and maybe others.
Miralax Is not used if there’s renal failure so it’s no longer an option .
It’s a great life if you don’t weaken

Last edited:
Golytely is anything but....I ended up in hospital with IV Meds due to this...the next day the GI persisted in doing the colonoscopy and upper endoscopy.he found the esophagus was narrowed due to stricture and widened it....with balloon endoscopy.
The colon had severe stricture and he had great difficulty with the scope...resorted to the tiniest paediatric scope and finally succeeded in widening the colon...thus avoiding spending
for which I am so grateful.
After this it was like a dam burst and I had continual bathroom visits for the two days following the procedures.
Needless to say I finally felt better at that time.
Currently I am having problems again and hope there is not a scope in my future.
I will never take golytely again.
In previous years I had Miralax and it was so easy to take...only two cups...worked really well.
Not allowed for me any more due to renal failure...which is likely due to BP Meds and maybe others.
Miralax Is not used if there’s renal failure so it’s no longer an option .
It’s a great life if you don’t weaken

Thank you! This is really great to know. When asking the secretary of my GI office she said he used to prescribe something else but no longer does because he found people were not drinking enough with it and in the end it wasn’t flushing them out causing the test to fail. I have a family member who works in a colonoscopy/endoscopy unit and will get them to ask a few of the doctors if they can suggest something else or if it will be alright for me to do mirilax instead.