• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy results

I have received my letter from my Gastroenterologist today. The results say:

"Colonoscopy today showed a mild proctitis and distal sigmoiditis with a skip lesion at 30cm and again at 70cm. I could not progress beyond the proximal lesion".

What is a skip lesion? Do they block the bowel - is this likely to be why he couldn't go any further?

I am seeing him on April 13th for biopsy results and to start on Azathioprine but I'd be interested in finding out more if I can.

Skip lesion just means that there was heathy bowel in between- the lesions 'skipped' that part. This is significant because it points to Crohn's not UC. but it is not necessarily why he couldn't progress- he may have come to an awkward corner, or you may have shown signs of distress, and having found lesions already it's not as important to continue.

Thanks. I do remember feeling pain during the scope even with the sedation so that's possible. I'll ask him :)