• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy this Saturday

So I have my second colonoscopy, first one was in Sept of 09 when I first got D.X with Crohns in the terminal illieum. I am kind of nervous about the second time around because first time I had it done I didn't know I had anything wrong with me. The reason I got D.X the first time was I had come back from Egypt and was sick for two weeks, mainly diarrhea and G.I said lets do a colonoscopy took samples and said i have crohns. I have for some reason always doubted I had crohns, i screwed up big time by not getting a second opinion. I was started on Lialda and felt better within days soon after I stopped and would only take my meds when I would get sharp rectum pain, which I found out recently could be because I have internal hemorrhoids, or just muscle spasm. I have never had the traditional symptoms of crohns, such as diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. My bowl movement was usually once a day sometimes twice or every other day. And it was usually a stool using the bristol chart a 3 or 4, with a little mucus (which is normal from what I hear)

The reason I am getting a colonoscopy this time around is because the G.I wants to see if it has progressed or not. In Sept I had this really bad abdominal pain that E.R doctors said was gas passing by and a increase in rectum pain, that its more consistent than before, and pain to my lower right abdomen near the appendix the pain is mild and goes away when I go to the bathroom or let out gas.

I just find it weird that, I rarely vomit or have diarrhea or ever feel nausea or I never react to any type of food I eat. Doesn't anyone find this odd?

So here I am nervous as hell and scared. What should I talk to my doctor about before and after the procedure?

BTW I am a lil bit of a hypercondriac after my D.X

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi SidS, sorry for the late response. Hope your scope went well. :)

When is your appointment with your GI where you go over the results and talk about treatment options?

There are many people who don't have typical Crohn's symptoms and many assume that things must be fine on the inside since they have few symptoms. Yet many have found that there's active inflammation, ulcers, a lot of scar tissue etc going on inside when they finally have proper tests done. Since yours was last seen in the TI a colonoscopy might not be enough to fully see what's going on. Might need to try an MRE, MRI, CT scan, small bowel follow through and/or a pill cam to see what's going on in the small intestines.

Its very common for different foods to not affect you. There are some typical foods that can cause symptoms in many people such as fiber but that doesn't mean it affects everyone. So no I don't find that odd.

Find out what's really going on inside (so you can learn about your disease and how its affecting you) and if your doctor suggests any medication ask them why and why that med specifically over any others. Also ask to have you vitamin levels tested as its common for people with Crohn's to be low or deficient in nutrients. Ask them how often they want you to have blood work done to check for inflammation etc.

Remember though that medication isn't just used to help reduce or get rid of symptoms but to also prevent further complications in the future. Even mild inflammation over time can build up more and more scar tissue creating a narrowing/stricture and that's something we all need to avoid. Keep us posted on how you're doing and how the scope and appointment goes. :)

My colonoscopy went well, my CD hasn't spread anywhere in my colon and my sharp anal pain is because of internal hemmorrids and was given suppororties. I didn't ask anything about the small intestine, I have an upcoming appt in 6 weeks, so i'll ask about checking my small intestine. There is no scar tissue.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Glad to hear that your colonoscopy went well! Sorry to hear aout the hemmorrids, but am thankful to hear that your disease hasn't spread any and no scar tissue. Good luck on your upcoming appt.