• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy - was i sedated properly?

colonoscopy - was i sedated properly?

when i had my first colonoscopy, it was extremely painful....

i felt everything.

i also remember everything.

anyone else feel pain during a colonoscopy?

wasn't i supposed to be sedated? is it possible that i wasn't sedated enough or maybe some people don't react to the sedation?

or could it be that sometimes if your crohn's inflammation is super severe, you'll still feel the pain.

i was told that he couldn't complete the colonoscopy because he couldn't pass my stricture.

that's the only colonoscopy i've had, i'm already overdue for another one...now i wonder what my next colonoscopy will feel like.

It depends on the doctor. I had my first colonoscopy when I was younger and they probably put me under because of my age. Another time I couldn't remember most of the colonoscopy but I did remember feeling some major discomfort at one point. The last colonoscopy I had, I was fully aware of what was going on and I was speaking with the doctor a bit when they weren't moving the scope around. It was painfully uncomfortable but it wasn't unbearable.

i had one the other year where they gave me some sedation and i was pretty relaxed but wide awake, and remembered everything. then had another a few months ago when i had no sedation whatsoever - wasn't a nice experience :(

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Out of 5 colonoscopies, I only awoke during one. You might mention it to your doc next time before they give you the sedative. I have read here that usually when someone "wakes up" during it, the nurse says "More _____", and they bump up the drugs so quick the patient goes under again, but I might just be imagining that.

When I had my colonoscopy done, they gave me some sedative, but it didn't knock me out. I was awake through the whole thing watching the inside of my ass on the screen. Butt (hehe) nothing hurt. I would just inform them this next time that you are a little concerned about the fact that you had pain last time and I'm sure they will make adjustments to make you comfortable.

Thing is, sedative doesn't take away the pain. It just makes you tired and relaxed... probably more so the procedure is easier for them. It's probably also so that you CAN feel pain, and then if it's really bad you can tell them. If they squeeze by a stricture and cause perforation it would be very bad. I'm assuming if you're only sedated, it would hurt enough to give advance warning.

My first colonoscopy was actually OKish, though I did have some pain (mainly because of the air they blow into you), but my second colonoscopy was a complete failure. They only got halfway round my large intestine and I had to have a barium enema instead.

I think the sedative type and amount varies overseas. I know I just had a colonoscopy a week or two ago and they gave me Fentanyl with Versed and Phenergan and I was completely out. I have no recollection of it whatsoever. My first colonoscopy I was completely out as well but they didn't give me the Phenergan (and I paid for that later)

I think in England and in European countries they tend to not put people out for as many procedures as we do in America. Pure speculation though.

farm

Captain Insaneo
I haven't been "put out" many times. Sometimes yes, but for example my last one I remember every detail and each time I'd squirm or yell "ouch" my doc would say "sorry" and continue. It was a bit painful, but more uncomfortable feeling for me. If you were in pain the whole time, i'd say he didn't sedate you properly.

My first I wasn't sedated much, but the surgeon did make sure it didn't hurt much. The second, with my gastroenterologist hurt a lot more despite more interesting drugs - dont think he took as much care with the amount of air in the bowel and stuff.

thank you all for your replies, very helpful.

it was a colonoscopy performed by a GI i disliked, and i will be seeing my new GI next month (*cue happy dance*)... anyway, i know that he thought he sedated me because of some comments made, he was under the impression that i would've had memory problems, but i remembered everything... in fact, i will never forget that day, i cried... the experience was just very upsetting and his bedside manner was mainly the problem i think.

but like a couple people mentioned, i guess the kind of stuff they gave me was to relax me... and maybe if i hadn't alerted to the pain, there could've been more damage done... so i'm thankful.

well, here's to hoping my next one goes much better.

cheers!

Gosh cheeky, that sounds horrible! I have had 2, and both times I was completley knocked out and can't remember a thing. 8 members of my family have had to have colonoscopys (no genetic link my ass!) and none of them have ever been awake. In fact here in Australia I have never heard of anyone being awake. That just sounds traumatic to me - if you have to get one again I have my fingers crossed for you that it will be better this time!

Yeah I think they knock you out in Australia. I've always been, and the people they wheel out of theater while I'm waiting are always out cold too.

J

JillianB82

I was awake for the whole thing. The only pain I felt was when he would put more air inside to move the camera around.

I had an upper GI 2 weeks later & I asked "Will I be alseep this time?" The nurse said, "Oh don't worry, we have something to make you sleep" Boy did it ever!!!

Sedations vary from mild to strong, and it all depends on what your doc orders for you to have for your colonoscopy. Typically for sigmoidoscopies they do not sedate at all, you'd have to request sedation for that with most docs.

:)

JillianB82 said:
I was awake for the whole thing. The only pain I felt was when he would put more air inside to move the camera around.

I had an upper GI 2 weeks later & I asked "Will I be alseep this time?" The nurse said, "Oh don't worry, we have something to make you sleep" Boy did it ever!!!
Yeah, roofies are great.

Thanks GirlFriday!

i'm wondering if he underestimated my weight? maybe they give you a dose according to your weight?

i know that people think i weigh about 10-15 pounds less than i actually weigh. plus i am only 5'1... so maybe that could've been it?

oh well, i'm just glad that i won't have to deal with that GI anymore, but i think that i'll have way more anxiety the next time i have a colonoscopy, so i will have to inquire about being knocked out. lol

katiesue1506 said:
Yeah I lied a bit when my doc asked me my weight... i gave an overestimate so I knew I'd be put out sufficiently.
I'm surprised they let you tell them your weight rather than actually weighing you. I've never been given anesthesia without being weighed first.

the only time i had anesthesia where i was knocked out, was when i got my wisdom teeth out... but i wasn't weighed, can't remember if the dentist asked my weight. man that day was awesome lol, just sitting there for a lil bit, and suddenly you wake up and it's over lol.

and the GI who did my colonoscopy didn't weigh me or ask how much i weigh. hmm.

cheeky said:
the only time i had anesthesia where i was knocked out, was when i got my wisdom teeth out... but i wasn't weighed, can't remember if the dentist asked my weight. man that day was awesome lol, just sitting there for a lil bit, and suddenly you wake up and it's over lol.

and the GI who did my colonoscopy didn't weigh me or ask how much i weigh. hmm.
Huh.

crohnsappleadams said:

sorry, it was early in the morning before breakfast... i'm re-reading it, i get what i meant.... but maybe it was unclear to you and others...

i was replying to what you and katiesue were talking about....

but nevermind. i don't care to rewrite it.

cheeky said:
sorry, it was early in the morning before breakfast... i'm re-reading it, i get what i meant.... but maybe it was unclear to you and others...

i was replying to what you and katiesue were talking about....

but nevermind. i don't care to rewrite it.
That was a "huh.", not a "huh?". I got it. I'm just surprised.