• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy went well this time

I've posted before about my really traumatic first colonoscopy, and how it left me very fearful of undergoing the procedure again. The sedative (pethedine) hadn't worked at all and the pain was agonising.

This time I finally had it done and I was given painkiller and sedative (midazolam and pethedine). This calmed me down and the pain, while very unpleasant, was just about bearable.

The big difference, though, was that the staff were all kind, sympathetic and encouraging to me, and they gave me an hour slot instead of the usual thirty minutes. So much better than a rushed procedure with impatient staff and just a cursory attempt at sedation.

Just a shame the findings were Crohns.

Lizze,

firstly well done for going through the colonoscopy despite your ealier traumatic experience. I think that shows great bravery.

I'm glad it was more bearable this time. That is pretty much my experience of colonoscopies as well, painful but bearable, and I agree the attitude of the staff makes a big difference.

Sorry to hear that they found crohn's. At least you now have a definitive diagnosis going forward.

x

Glad you had a better experience. I usually have them put me to sleep because I used to be able to feel them moving around.

Glad to hear it was a better colonoscopy for you this time.

I haven't of the option to be awake during colonoscopy, did you choose it yourself or did your gastroenterologist suggest it to you? My gastroenterologists always put their patients to sleep even though I did not want to for the first colonoscopy. I just woke up for a few seconds but the pain wasn't nice at all, so I'm very thankful for sleeping during that procedure.

Glad to hear it was a better colonoscopy for you this time.

I haven't of the option to be awake during colonoscopy, did you choose it yourself or did your gastroenterologist suggest it to you? My gastroenterologists always put their patients to sleep even though I did not want to for the first colonoscopy. I just woke up for a few seconds but the pain wasn't nice at all, so I'm very thankful for sleeping during that procedure.
Amen

Hi Charlotte, no I definitely didn't choose to be awake, there is no other option at the hospital I attend and it's very rare for anaesthesia to be offered in the UK at all, so I'm amazed that you get it. I understand it's the norm in the US but definitely not here, probably on cost grounds but also justified for patient safety. Wish I lived where you do!

My last one was about 8 weeks ago and I didn,t have any medication at all,mostly my fault,must say it was totally painless just uncomfortable the doctor was amazing but they did use a newer very slim camera it must have helped.

The sedation generally used in the US is conscious sedation or twilight sedation. The makes it easier to adjust the patient if needed because you are conscious but due to the meds used you don't generally remember the procedure at all.

Oh, I didn't know Lizzie.
I thought the sedation with propofol (and midazolam, optional) would be wide spread. It's pretty much working the way Clash explains it, so the doctors could wake you up or give you directions and hopefully you react, but not necessarily, because you sleep too deep.

The sedation is usual in the UK Charlotte but if affects people differently it seems. It doesn't put me to sleep either and I can remember the procedure afterwards.

Axel - I've thought about getting mine without any meds since they don't seem to work anyway, but worried the pain would be more without anything. Again, different people have different sensitivity in their bowel - this has been tested experimentally in balloon dilation studies where they inflated balloons inside people's bowels and different people could tolerate different amounts of pressure without pain. NOT a study I will be volunteering for!

I have my next one this January. They give me Midazalam as a premed and then propofol. The procedure always is fine. Its what they find that bothers me!

I have done sedated ones too. Where its just IV Diazapam. Not bad just uncomfortable.

Sorry, Charlotte, I thought you meant you'd had full anaesthesia rather than sedation. You're right that sedation is pretty widespread in the UK but at the hospital I attend they prefer to do it without any sedation as it's quicker and easier for them. I think I must have been given a far lower dose than you because I was just a bit calmer than I would have been otherwise, but reasonably in control of my faculties (unfortunately, as I'd have preferred to be more zonked out).

Hi Kat,the no sedation thing was my fault I didn,t have anyone to stay with me and I thought they would give me pain killers so I just told them to go for it!the Dr doing the deed was a musician as well and was really good and the new camera helped.i have a friend who works for Thales they make all sorts of optical equipment and he knew about the new thinner scope he was on the design team so there hoping it, willbe a big seller.
The good thing about no sedation or drugs meant when I got home shower and dinner and I was fine but always go with what your comfortable with.