• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy with fissures advice?

Hi all - I’m having my first colonoscopy the week after next for suspected IBD. I’m feeling extra anxious about it because I have now started having some trouble with painful anal fissures. Have been using diltiazem cream, zinc, warm soaks etc but they don’t seem to be healing. Will this make the scope more unpleasant? I am having procedural sedation (fentanyl/midazolam) but am a bit nervous about how well it will work, as I had that combo a few years ago for a bronchoscopy and woke up in a panic partway through... I am also Autistic, which I think affects how I react to medication.. Any advice on how to make this as comfortable an experience as possible? Thanks so much!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Make sure you convey your concerns and past issues with waking up to your doctor and the anesthesiologist.....you should be given enough sedation so that you don't feel pain during the scope.