• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy

Hello everyone,
I just received word that my first colonoscopy is scheduled for next Wednesday morning.

Helpful hints for prep would be extremely appreciated. I was also wondering if there are certain questions I should ask that will help me in the future. I hope that doesn't sound silly...:blush:

Hi there,

I am having my first colonoscopy on thursday so I will be prepping this wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes :)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I just recommend being in a safe place when the prep starts working. If you have to drink the giant jug of nasty liquid, you've got 20-30 minutes before it kicks in.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Lauren + Stargazer, here are my top 5 hot tips:

1. Tushie cream. Calmoseptine is best. Else, diaper cream works well, too. A little coating before/after each bm and you're good to go.

2. Ask if you can add non-red Crystal Lite to the prep, if you are drinking the 4 litres. Also, for some reason Golightly seems less thick to me than Colyte (and possibly cheaper; can't remember). I thought unflavoured Golightly with Crystal Lite was not terrible at all!

3. Drink lots the day of prep, and as much as possible while drinking the prep. This is recommended in the instruction, and I noticed that things were moving more efficiently when I was drinking extra fluids.

4. A shower can help if you experience any cramping during prep.

5. Lysol wipes or something similar can come in handy if you want to keep your bathroom feeling (and, um, smelling) clean and comfortable. A swipe every couple of hours and your bathroom won't be a place you desperately want to avoid, at least not for hygiene reasons.

Last edited:
I've done bowel preps five times, each one using a different formula. Last week it was with MoviPrep.

The abdominal distension scared the heck out of me, but walking slowly around the house helped a lot and things finally passed through.

We have a wonderfull prep in S.A. It's called Xprep.

It tastes like chocolate, it's 71ml of liquid that I took up in 4 delicious gulps.

I dont know if its available in the states though.

Also drink lots of fluids, it helps to clean you out and keep you hydrated.

Dont make any plans for the day of your prep and DONT have people over.

Good luck!

Would absolutely recommend some sort of baby wipes, maybe with aloe. You will be GLAD you got them:) The procedure will be a breeze. They will most likely give you propaphyl (sp?) You most likely will remember NOTHING about it. hardest part (been at this 30 years) is the taste of prep.