• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy..

colonoscopy..

im really not looking forward to my 1st colonoscopy on the 6th feb.
do you really get to watch the screen? i think i might puke looking at my insides

my "klean prep" has arrived through the post.. *gulp*

any advice for the preparation? im not worried about it being painful, because everyone has said its just uncomfortable. im just worried about being sick.. i often feel faint/sick when i have the big D anyway.. :(

I hear ya! I am going for my third one on the 7th. My letter and 2 sachets of Picolax arrived in the post yesterday. My big worry is when to go cos I have to fly to the mainland and trust me, you will want to be near a toilet at all times after you take the prep.
I'm hoping you won't throw up when it's not disease related D but drink plenty of water. Little and often. Helps to clean you out and prevent dehydration. You might not even remember seeing your insides. I 'woke up' towards the end of the test. But seeing the inflammation and stuff on the screen destroyed any denial I might have had about having Crohns.
They pump you with air so be prepared to fart a lot after and it's quite painful. Sipping hot water can help.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

im not sure what kind of sedation ill be having. but that sounds awful having to fly after taking the prep.. im dreading the drive to the hosp for the same reason :poo:

Its about 25minutes.. but its horrendous trying to find a parking space.
im sure ill be fine. i start the bowel prep 4pm on the sunday and my scope is at 10am the next morning

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I usually don't remember much of the actual colonoscopy. I had an appt after my last one where my GI told me that it looked more like Crohn's than UC. She then realized that I didn't remember her saying that at the time. Make sure she shares your info from the surgery with the person that you're with or prints the info off for you because if you're like me you won't remember the important stuff.

All good advice suggested ive had 2 and both times have said to them I do not want to remember this so give me plenty of anaesthetic. Luckily I don't remember anything after the injection untill I was in the waiting room both times.

Just don't drink the mix too fast as that can cause vomiting I found both times I had 3 sachets of laxatives and after the first one I had to drink it while on the throan as it came out as fast as it went in lol

With the Picolax I have to start at 8am the day before and my appointment is at 3pm the next day. Also, maybe get a soothing cream for your botty as it can get a bit raw. Sudofed is quite good.

Hmmmm I don't know about watching the screen. I've had two colonoscopy's now and I was completely knocked out for both of them. It was like a really deep sleep and I didn't remember a thing. I know someplaces do it differently, but perhaps you can request full sedation?

Hi Bozzylozzy :)

I think in the UK you just get sedated but not put out completely but as f_else said, you could always try and request full sedation.

I had a colonoscopy in the summer and was terrified to see my colon on the big screen! (I'm a baby when it comes to anything medical) but I was actually quite intrigued by it!

Hope it goes well x

If you really don't want to watch it you could maybe get a sleep mask so you're not tempted to peek? Though I found watching mine weirdly fascinating!

And please, remember the OP is in the UK. They will not do full sedation in the UK unless there is a sound medical reason for it, not just because you don't like the sound of twilight sedation!

And grumbletum- I think you mean sudocrem?! Her bottom won't want unblocking with sudofed after drinking the prep lol!

Haha! Yes sudocrem ;)
I work for private medical insurance.. boo! Lol! We wont cover full sedation unless there's a medical reason. I think its just the fear of the unknown..ill probably be fine once im in there. could i listen to my ipod??

Probably not. One of the reasons they don't fully sedate is they need to monitor pain levels, maybe ask you to move etc and generally monitor things during the procedure. You'll probably have a mask on too. Not sure if it's for oxygen or a sedation med? Or are they both via the canula? I think the booklet they sent says oxygen.

It's not that painful, just uncomfortable being filled up with air. Don't try and hold it in. If you need to fart - let it out, lol.

They will tell you just to relax although - easy for them to say! It will make thing's easier for you and them but kinda difficult I found last time for me. Watching images on monitor is weird but somewhat interesting.

Hope you get a result that can be used for best plan of action to get you back on your feet.