• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy

I am having my very first colonoscopy tomorrow. Today I have to start the prep. I am scared and nervous. What should I expect? I have read the prep is way worse than the actual test. I am being checked for crohn's and to see if anything is going on. Every other test has been normal so hope I find answers with this one.

The doc will keep you comfortable and you will not be awake during the procedure. It will seem like a very short time you were away in the procedure room. Be good to yourself and wean back onto food. You may consider this a "fresh" slate and begin eating and drinking only healthy things, so you can give your belly a rest. You will be all cleaned out, so you have a new beginning to what you put back in! you will be fine. Good luck!

Thanks StarGirrrrl. I didn't know where to put it. Mickey good point fresh slate. I didn't even think of that. I will have to reconsider what I put in. Thanks.

I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow too! This is not my first one, though. I've had a few over the years. They're not bad. Today you (and I) are doing the prep - no eating, which sucks. You have to empty your bowels - I'm taking Miralax, but I'm not sure what you're doing. Probably something similar.
For the test, you'll go in to the hospital, check-in and do some waiting. They'll have you change into a hospital gown (which I hate, but oh well) and they'll start an IV. The doctor and the anesthesiologist usually come greet you. You'll then be taken back, when they're ready for you, and you'll be given anesthesia. When you wake up, it'll be done!
Afterwards you may feel bloated and/or your throat might feel a little funny, depending on where they stick the tube. This passes, though. Once you're awake enough and they make sure you're feeling well, plus they take the IV out, you can leave. You can't drive though!
I may have left some little things out, but these are the main steps. The actual procedure is only around 45 minutes or so on average. The nurse told me that I should be out of the hospital in 3 hours, so hopefully it'll be similar for you.
I hope this helps! Even though I've had lots of tests over the years, I still always get a little nervous. But it should be fine!

Hey laybay78 I am doing the prep. Yes it stinks not eating but it isn't to bad yet. I had to drink a 10 oz. bottle of Magnesium Citrate at 1 today. Tomorrow I'll drink sorbitol twice before the test. I also will not be having my test done at a hospital. It is at a different place where they do all upper and lower gi's. Not sure what it is called. My husband is going with me so I am happy about that.