• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colostrum

this is the same Colostrum as found in first breast milk after giving birth?

if so, it would make sense that there is scope for helping Crohns with Colostrum, given that it contains such important ingredients for our immune systems..

quote from Wiki -

Colostrum contains all five immunoglobulins found in all mammals, IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG and IgM. There are many beneficial proteins in the colostrum, including a variety of growth factors (IGfs). Bovine colostrum is sometimes used by humans as a dietary supplement for general immunity and physical strength.[1][2][3]

Yep, though all the kinds online are bovine colostrum. Interestingly some testimonial from a person I read who has Crohn's said that he would make sure you had CD before taking it. As there is some controversy that Jones which is much like Crohn's for cows is possible to become infected with when drinking cows milk or taking bovine colostrum. Jones is what makes some researches believe its a certain bacteria causing this.

And the testimonial can be found here...
http://www.alienview.net/crohns.html

Wait, Jones is the Crohns version for cows?! How did I not come across such a factoid in all my reading?!:yrolleyes:

Perhaps I'll check if the site "www.jonesforum.com" exists with a bunch of bovine members....

Yeah Benson. Jones is caused by the MAP Bacteria. And it is transmitted in the milk and feces of diseased cows. That's where the theory that Crohn's in humans is caused by MAP was originated...

More fun: MAP isn't killed by the American pasteurization standard of 12 seconds. It requires 15 seconds. The milk industry knows this and there were pushes to increase the time in the past but the milk industry thinks it would slow production and cost them a little extra in heating energy so they refuse to change it themselves and lobbied against it.

Ultra-Pasteurization which is 3 seconds at a very high temperature will also kill it. In fat Ultra-Pasteurization sterilizes the milk and gives it a shelf life many, many times that of normal milk. But of course if milk doesn't go bad, forcing people to go buy more, the milk industry loses money.

I

Isla

BWS1982 said:
Wait, Jones is the Crohns version for cows?! How did I not come across such a factoid in all my reading?!:yrolleyes:

Perhaps I'll check if the site "www.jonesforum.com" exists with a bunch of bovine members....
Well the cows were going to start up the forum but a lot of them had trouble typing, on account of their hooves. So instead they formed a Jones Support Moot where bovines of any pasture could come to moo about their disease, though they know the mooing will get them no where. So, in an effort to spread awareness, they are looking for a good looking and charming bovine to be the spokescow.

When you say you had painful gas when you tried Colostrum, what do you mean? Like bloating and cramping? Or did you feel discomfort in the lower region then pass gas?

I often get bloated and crampy without any gas.

Anyway I'm going to try it, if it helps any I'll post back here again.

I tried it in a pill. But the gas I got was uncomfortable and gave me a bad feeling so I stopped after a month. hope it works for you; update us on what happens. Good Luck

BWS1982 said:

Hey friends. I've been having a few problems recently with pain and discomfort under my 3rd udder. I think that one of my stomachs may be playing up a bit...

Thanks for listening. Sometimes it helps to 'chew the cud'.

Moo.

Q

quick

Bovine Colostrum

I took bovine colostrum this for at least 6 months maybe longer. I took it in pill/capsule form and straight powder w/ water.

Had zero effect on my Crohn's. I don't remember it making it worse though...

N

nochie

what's the difference between colostrums and raw milk? :ymad:

Um supposedly its the milk that comes out in the first few seconds after birth, which is high in some certain type of immune stuff. Teaches the child what to fight or something like that.

I

Isla

Actually the colostrum comes out for a few days (to a couple weeks depending on which mammal) after giving birth. It is filled with messenger anti-bodies that help the baby (cow or human) recognize harmful bacteria and subsequently fight it. This is why doctors urge all pregnant women to nurse their babies to at least a 6 week mark, to make sure the baby receives on the benefits of breast feeding. I made it to 5 weeks with my own daughter before her GERD got so bad she was losing a considerable amount of weight

Pretty good actually... I hit a really rough spot about a month ago... but things seem to be evening out. I've been able to eat again... I have HUNGER! :) And my poos are generally between liquid and solid.