• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Columbus, OH

Hey guys, I'm going to be living in Columbus for most of the year for at least two years and most likely six to seven so I need a GI just in case something happens to me. I'm hopefully I will be keeping my GI right now as my primary but I still need an in case as my doctor will be about six hours away.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me

how far is it from Cleveland Clinic. They are rated top notch in IBD care in all of the ratings I have seen. They are #2 in the top 10 list for IBD care in the USA.

Can you ask your GI for names of GIs in Columbus? When I went to Fl to visit my MIL, I asked my GI for names of hospitals and GIs near Lake Mary FL in case I had an emergency and he was more than happy to assist me. Can you try a google and then say talk to folks at the local CCFA chapter near you. Some members may have relatives in OH and they can refer you to a good GI or contact the CCFA chapter in Columbus and ask if you can talk to the president or visitor liasion of that group. That could be a start.

go to ccfa.org. then click on chapters and events. good luck. ~Gutless Wonder Woman

Cleveland Clinic is about 2-2 1.2 hrs away(I live in Columbus and and every year we make the car trip to Cleveland for a family reunion

I don;t suggest OSU they gave me a colonoscopy which showed inflammation told me they wanted to wait on biopsies then refused all my calls and never treated me. My GI now is ok...really I feel he gives me sufficiant treatment but not amazing treatment but I'm with him because I'm on government insurance. I had a really good GI while I was hospitalized but I don't remeber his name and he doesn;t accept my insurance but he was more than I could ask for.

My GI is Dr. Jeffery Sams...

Thank you guys so much! My GI's friend is at Cleveland Clinic but with my schedule I won't be able to take a whole day to head up to Cleveland Clinic.

jeff, remember to take time out for you. listen to your body. If you don't feel well, go see your GI. Even if it is a drive, you are worth it. I have learned the hard way that when the pain hits, it's my body's way of saying HEY, something is going on. STOP and call the GI NOW. So, now that I am older and wiser, lol, I stop what I am doing and seek medical attention. You have your whole life ahead of you. Ok? There is only 1 Jeff. If folks or your boss or whomever can't understand, well, it's their problem. Your health is top priority. hugs, ~GW

Thanks GW, it's not that. I just need a GI in case of an emergency otherwise I can visit Vandy when I come back during summer and winter breaks. I mean a 2.5 hour drive is not that much different than a 6 hour drive in my book. Both will take a day and both are out of reach when there is an emergency. I don't mind driving 1.5 hours but that extra hour can really cause some problems.

do you have a name of a very good hospital in case you need to go to the ER for a flare or obstruction? at least that way you have a back up plan. better safe than sorry. Hopefully you will not need it, but it's there if you do. have a safe journey. God bless. ~GW

I'm working on a job app right now and might be moving to the west Cleveland area. If I get the job I'll be a Cleveland Clinic regular :)

SdN, if you go to the Cleveland Clinic go see Dr. Bret Lashner. My GI at Vanderbilt is good friends with him and recommended I go see him but 2.5 hours is a little too far for this poor seminarian to go plus I won't be able to have a day to not go to class/prayer/other things I need to do.

Gems, I think I will be near Dublin. I'm not sure the exact area but my school will be the Pontifical College Josephinum. It's a little north of Columbus.

Dublin is a nice area and there is a pretty new hospital if you would need it (Dublin Methodist). The Dr I recommended is about 25 minutes from Dublin.

Thanks Gems. I'm trying to get with Dr. Meyers. My GI after I told him his first rec. was too far away told me to go to him. Now I have to see if they ever did what they were supposed to to get me in.