• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Combination Therapy - Remicade and Imuran

Anyone have any research or experience with Remicade and Imuran. Drs want my 19 year old to be on both. He was on Imuran for 5 years and all was great. he discontinued and now disease is back. We are concerned about Lymphoma risk etc.

thank you.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi, I'm on both and not had any issues.

I don't have a link to provide but I have read the risk of cancer goes from 2 in 10,000 to 6 in 10,000

Sorry, no experience with imuran here. My son uses methotrexate and humira but he was originally on methotrexate and remicade.

Imuran or 6MP strengthens the effect of Remicade. Chances of getting cancer from these treatments together are still very very small compared to the risk of the disease returning in a much worse state. Personally, I would definitely consider taking this step.

(Totally stupid and anecdotic argument: I've been on remicade + 6MP for 3 years and I'm totally fine :tongue: )

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo has been on Remicade and Imuran. I was worried too, but no issues at all - no increase in infections or anything like that. She had nausea with Imuran, but it eventually went away.

She is now on Imuran and a different biologic.

Hi, I'm on both and not had any issues.

I don't have a link to provide but I have read the risk of cancer goes from 2 in 10,000 to 6 in 10,000
I was told 2 in 100,000 to 6 in 100,000, by my GI two weeks ago, I'm 25, very newly diagnosed and was assigned combination immunosuppressant/biologic treatment off the bat.

Hope all is well and treatment improves!!

I was on remicade for 6 years then stopped after my kiddo was born.. I ended up flaring badly after that and was then put on 200mg of Imuran and then started remicade back up.. My liver enzymes ended up getting high so they halved my dose of imuran and kept me on remicade too. Now everything has evened out and I'm doing good.. Still have some abd pain but doing pretty well. A flared liver kind of sucks tho, it's painful.

I am sorry about the liver.
It's much better now.. It hurt almost as bad as my crohns did though. My liver enzymes got up to like 200ish before they started coming down.. my wbc tanked too but that was just for a week.. I started drinking a ton of water(I had read that helps flush out toxins) So I've been doing better since then.

I'm so sorry to hear about your liver flare!! That sort of upper abd pain is so much worse than lower GI cramps (at least IMO) I'm happy to hear you're on the mend though!! Keep kicking butt and keep us updated!