• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused and in need of advice

I will try and keep this short! For a couple of years now I have had intermittent bowel symptoms, such as diarrhoea, increased frequency, mild cramps, with skin rashes and lots of other fun things. About 18 months ago we moved to Canada, where around that time I had all of the above symptoms but noticed a little blood some times and had lost quite a bit of weight. As it took so long for my healthcare to come through (6 months, meant to be 3) I eventually paid for a colonoscopy which was clear and showed no reason such as hemmies for the blood. And as my symptoms had died down, I left of at that.
About 3 months ago I noticed blood in my stool every time I had a BM and was going around 6 -8 times a day with loose stool. A few weeks in my husband was offered a job in finland which we decided he should take, with me working in the uk which is where we normally live. So I stupidly figured that a GI referral would not come through before we left Canada so I would wait until I got home to the UK. As time went on I was having intense headaches and nausea. The day after arriving in Finland, where i was planning on staying for a few weeks, things got much worse. Was having really bloody bms 20 times a day with strong cramps and a fever. That was 3 weeks ago. I also started vomiting in the 3rd week, mostly when having a BM. I saw a GP after a week who gave me a suppository for hemmies (I didn't realise this until I got to the pharmacy as her English was so poor, despite being a private English speaking dr). This was despite the fact she could not feel any and I had a fever etc at the time. But she drained some blood and made an assumption... A week later I was so ill and dehydrated I went to the hospital where they gave me some fluids, told me my CRP was raised so it was most likely an infection and essentially showed my non-Finnish self the door with a script for ciprofloxacin (?sp). A few days later I was worse again just made it to another GP, to whom I will be forever grateful who took one look at me and called the hospital and kicked up a stink. So I was admitted with pulse rate through the roof, CRP 190, very high leucocytes, fever 39 and haemoglobin well below normal range. I have also lost almost 10kg. This is my third day here and the blood values all still going in the wrong direction. They have been pumping me full of antibiotics although none of the cultures they sent to the lab are back yet. Could this be detrimental if this does turn out to be an IBD? My stools do appear to be less bloody and I have managed to eat for the first time in a while, although the fluids have helped. Is it possible for antibiotics to have a positive effect on IBD symptoms? Sorry if these are silly questions, they are waiting on the results before they will move forward with anymore testing and I appreciate any information I can get in the mean time.

I cannot be of too much help but it certainly isn't uncommon to have antibiotics prescribed for IBD. I have had metronidazole in the past but I have a very bad reaction and haven't had it in years.

You could have many things going on. Giving you antibiotics was probably a safe bet to reduce any internal infection going on in you system..your body was rejecting something...it is telling you it doesn't like something going on. Hopefully, you will have the right doc persevere and get you answers. Could be diverticulitis..internal hemmorhoids...who knows? You appear to be in the right place. Best wishes for speedy recovery. Feel better.

Thank you both so much for your replies and well wishes. And for having the stamina to get through the garbled mess that is my above post! I was pretty unwell when I wrote it

@ Daisy: good to know:) I have been assured that they won't have a detrimental effect. The Drs are now certain there is no infection going on. Scope on Monday and then hopefully I can get on the appropriate drugs and get better!