• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused and in need of advice

This is my first time posting on any type of forum!

I was diagnosed with mild Crohn’s about 8 years ago but I’m positive I’ve had it all my adult life. Colonoscopies in my 20’s showed nothing but they did not investigate the small bowel which is of course where my disease is located! I went for a colonoscopy in November and discovered my disease has totally raped up! I was a bit surprised because I had been feeling pretty good! The doc put me on Cortiment for the inflammation and sent me for a CT scan. Finally had that done in March. Doc called and said he wanted to see me right away. So I went and he said the news was bad and that my small bowel was totally inflamed and there were multiple fistulas narrowing etc and that the steroids were not helping. They must be helping a bit because my symptoms have been better. Anyway, he wants me to start biologics. Not sure which one. My problem is that I liv win Canada and also have no medical benefits to pay for this type of medication. I really don’t know what to do. I don’t like this doc very much. He really rubs me the wrong way. I’m not against going for a treatment that will help if I can find a way to afford it. Ive asked for a second opinion but I can’t get in to see the other doc until September. I’m not sure what to do! Should I wait until September or should I try to go on the biologics as soon as I figure out how to get covered for them? I’m very confused and anxious!

Sue

Welcome. I am sorry that you have Crohn"s disease but you have found a good support group. Can you call this second doctor's office and ask if they have any cancellations if they could write you in sooner? I am going to tag cmack.

Scipio

Why do you not have any medical benefits? Are you not a Canadian citizen?

In any case, some of the drug companies that make the expensive biologics offer assistance programs for those unable to afford their medications. Check to see if you qualify for any of those.

cmack

Staff member
Hey Sue, did you get your medical coverage figured out? Give me a shout if you need help. I have filled out a lot of government paperwork before, I tend to know the lingo.

Bufford

A couple of things here; If you are feeling that your symptoms are in your normal range, I would hold off until you get a second opinion given that you are not that pleased with your present doctor. The decision to take a Biologic is a serious one.

In Ontario there is a financial assistance program available that will pay for the infusions, you have to talk to your GI about it, I believe its called Remistart. The doctor should be able to provide you with a pamphlet from Remicade which outlines the application process, its straightforward when I tried Remicade back in 2015. Unfortunately I had to go off of it after the third infusion due to side effects.