• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused and seeking an answer

I had my first colonoscopy today after background of 4 months of intermittent dark blood in the toilet water, diarrhea, abdo pain, lower back pain, fatigue, periods of persistent low grade fever and inflammation markers in blood tests. My GP was pretty convinced it sounded like IBD (no family history), and my gastroenterologist said he was very surprised to find nothing abnormal in my colonoscopy. Whilst I'm not wanting a diagnosis as difficult as IBD, it's also pretty horrible to have no answer. There were no polyps, and though there were very small haemorrhoids the gastro said he was very doubtful they had caused the bleeding. I now await the biopsy results, new blood test results (there were at least 8 things written down but I don't know what they were) and also a pelvic ultrasound that the Gastro thinks may show other options for the cause of the bleeding (???).

I have taken comfort from reading threads here that suggest mine is not a unique experience. I just wish it were more straightforward. Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Lissyj and welcome to the forum! :D

Has your GI considered an endoscopy, MRI, MRE, small bowel follow through, CT scan, pill cam etc. to check if there's anything going on further up and in the small bowel? I had bright red blood from my terminal ileum (which can't fully be seen during a scope) so its possible you may be bleeding from further up than that where a colonoscopy can't see. Did your GI check for any vitamin deficiencies at all? If it is Crohn's then its possible that you may be low or even deficient in some nutrients as Crohn's can affect absorption not to mention you have some bleeding so hopefully they're checking for anemia as well.

So far I'm glad that your GI sounds proactive by not simply blaming the blood on hemorrhoids. I hope you don't have Crohn's either but I do hope you get some answers soon. Keep us posted. :)

Thanks so much for your response Crabby. It' just so frustrating not knowing, and still feeling rotten with symptoms. My GI has an excellent reputation locally and seemed genuinely surprised that nothing showed, so I'm hopeful he will be thorough, though he hasnt suggested anything else yet. I don't quite know why I'm having a pelvic ultrasound- he was a bit vague about that and I haven't read about others having this as part of their examinations? I've had so many pelvic ultrasounds in the last 10yrs having children that I'm really doubtful it would show anything of significance. I didn't think a pelvic ultrasound looked anywhere near the bowels.

Is it possible that even though the scope showed no inflammation that the biopsies may? I see the GI again in a month after all the results come in, and I have so many questions that it's difficult to be patient. I understand CD can be anywhere in the digestive tract, hence many people experiencing normal colonoscopies even though they have CD.

Ahhhhhh. Going to go take a deep breath and learn to be content and patient in not knowing.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes inflammation (microscopic inflammation) and Granulomas would show up in a biopsy. It's possible your GI is ruling out other health concerns with the pelvic ultrasound since Crohn's symptoms mimic so many other health conditions. I never had a pelvic ultrasound while checking for Crohn's but I have had an abdominal ultrasound.