• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused on treatment options for a fistula, and living with crohn's

I was diagnosed with Crohn's, ileum, about 8 years ago and was put on Pentasa and it helped immediately. With Pentasa, diet and exercise, I was in remission and my GI slowly took me off of Pentasa. Crohn's was in remission for about 4 years and felt, probably the best I did in years.

I still have no pain or complications from crohn's until recently. I saw my ColoRec doctor for recent bleeding which I thought was a heme or fissure and told it appeared to be a fistula. I had no pain during bowel movements until after the docs exam, about 3 weeks ago. Pain has subsided but taking flagyl ointment until I see my GI.

I didn't know much about fistulas until I started reading on-line, what a mistake, now I'm terrified from everything I'm reading. Some scary risky surgeries. I can't sleep and feel like I don't want to leave the house, and can't wait to see my GI and hopefully get a colonoscopy or MRI to finally diagnose.

Can anyone help me to understand if there are medical treatments that work to heal a fistula, if you have crohn's, or is surgery the only option? I'm so confused because I really don't have feelings of pain. I do sometimes feel something more along the lines of a pinching at times.

Am I too paranoid? How are others dealing with crohn's and fistulas

Last edited:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum. There are many different options when dealing with a fistula (or multiple fistulas) - from taking a wait and see approach to having surgery.

If your fistula is not causing you any problems such as infection, pain, drainage etc. one option may be to just leave it alone and keep an eye on it. That is what my doctors did (GI/surgeon consult) for a couple of years instead of jumping right into surgery.

There are also medications that help with the healing of fistulas, Remicade being probably the most known - again, personally this helped me and caused my fistulas to heal without surgical intervention. Humira may also help to heal fistulas and keep new ones from forming.

There is also seton placement, flap surgery, different surgical procedures but those you definitely would need to do research on and talk with your doctors, even get a second opinion.

There is a fistula sub-forum, please take a look around there but remember, everyone has different experiences and results. Best of luck.....

@JohnConfused...You can review some of my posts. I joined the Forum in 2014. Going on Remicade was a big decision for me. I started Remicade in 2014. Perianal Fistulas are challenging to heal. I still have 2 Setons in place. The second seton was added recently when an EUA showed another internal opening tracking to the same external fistula opening. The one Seton was draining but I was still experiencing pain & swelling. Hopefully, now that the second tract has been identified & an additional Seton placed the tracts will dry up over the next several months...