• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused scared obsessed

I started having mucus and blood in my stool about a month and a half ago. blood test come back perfect, had a colonoscopy that showed mild inflammation in three spots in my colon. multiple biopsy all came back negative and ruled transient colitis. I don't have weight loss I don't have anemia, I don't have diarrhea or constipation, I have about 2 to 3 bm's a day. my only symptom is blood and mucus in stool, small amounts. GI surgeon said it could be crohn's but can't make diagnosis. prescribed flagyl and asacol. I don't know what to think. anybody got any comment

they have not, i assume because the bleeding is thought to be coming from the colonic inflammation. On a side note i stopped taking NSAIDs, which until recently i never realized how many i was taking. I also have been on 4 or 5 courses of antibiotics over the last eight months. I'm starting to think that these things in combination may have led to the non-specific colitis and bleeding. I have now added probiotics to my diet since finishing the flagyl.

you know it never even crossed my mind until i had the colonoscopy and during the prep it said no nsaids fro 5 days. That's when i started to think about it. I have really bad sinus problems that surgery had been recommended for and i guess i never paid attention but i was always taking over the counter sinus meds with ibuprofen in them. I have since stopped all nsaid use.

A biopsy result on NSAID induced colitis will often return a finding of "non-specific colitis". [1]

this is exactly what my biopsy results showed. I have been using NSAIDs most days of the week for a few years. As much as 800mg at a time. Stupid.

David

Co-Founder
I'd strongly suggest bringing this to the attention of your doctor if you haven't already.

Hopefully that's all this is and it'll clear up with prolonged avoidance of NSAIDs.

well i'm still in the same kind of limbo i was in when i last posted. I stopped taking the asacol HD because it gave me bad D, which i don't normally have, and it made it burn when i urinated. I didn't notice any difference between when i was taking it and since i haven't been other than not having the D or the burning urination. I'm taking probiotics and curcumin and go days without any mucus or blood then i'll have just a little. By a little blood i mean just a hint of it on or in the stool, it doesn't turn the water red or get it the toilet bowl or anything. I go back to the colorectal surgeon this coming Monday and i have no idea what to tell him. I don't feel bad, i don't go to the bathroom all the time, I have energy, no nausea, i sleep well, normal appetite. I just sometime have small amount of blood a mucus. The main thing this has done is caused me so much anxiety that i have had to double my prozac dose. My anxiety started increasing before this all started happening and i had been seeing my psychologist for it. So i don't know if they are related or not but having been told it could maybe be crohn's has had me in such a high anxiety state that it's just making everything worse i think.