• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused

Hello. I am 38 year old female with current diagnosis's of galactorrhea, tinnitus and history of histoplasmosis as a child. I take no medications. I had RLQ (right lower abdominal area) rebound discomfort intermittent nausea and was sent to the ER for possible appendicitis; had CBC, CMP, U/A C&S, and CAT Scan, all labs were normal but CAT scan showed inflammation in the terminal illieum. Was put on Entocort three times day for 10 days; Flagyl 500mg two times per day for 7 days and Cipro 500mg two times per day for 10 days; 72 hours after the ER visit I had a colonoscopy and was found that there was inflammation in the terminal illieum and that there was a stricture, was unable to get scope inside the TI to look (including pediatric scope) doctor was able to get biopsy forceps inside and took biopsies. I received a letter from the MD office that states that the "pathology findings are consistent with Crohn's disease". I am a little taken back with the diagnosis as I have no symtoms of Crohn's and my labs are all normal. Does the pathology always say "consitent with" or does it sometimes say "diagnosis of"?? I am wondering if it is "consistent with Crohn's" couldn't it also be "consistent with" other stuff?

I was the same... My body does give me symptoms however...
But the medical tests provided everything normal except when they did the colonoscopy and endoscopy...
My doctor called me a quandary...

Sent from my littlefishes

My diagnosis was Crohn's, with terminal illietus, erosive duodemtis.
Acid in my stomach, causing reflux for as long as I can remember...deteriorating my teeth at a fast rate...
A hole burning through my small intestine which I guess is why I have not had normal bowel motions for as long as I can remember and jump for joy when I do...
I thought the pain in my body, lower abdominal area, hips, tailbone was from previous Ross river virus...
I'm still learning about this too... :)

I think that is what's driving me crazy.......the fact that I have no symptoms. ..the inital symptoms lasted about 2-3 hours and that's it......nothing before that and nothing since then

You could think this way, you've been diagnosed at early stages and given the chance to try a way that works for you before it gets worse... That's a bonus...

Definitely could be a huge bonus. ....I just don't know where to start. .... they are talking about Humira..... to me that seems pretty harsh to start? What do you think?

Personally, I would read up on natural remedies or see a naturopath and talk to your doctor about it... See what works for you, but remember the long term effects and addiction these drugs can have... :)

Current thinking is that aggressive treatment is better from the start, getting you into remission sooner. Have to balance inflammation, etc against possible side effects of the drugs. My advice is to ask your doc lots of questions about why s/he wants to start there and what other treatments might be appropriate for you. Also to do your own research so you have an idea of the options. The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada www.ccfc.ca and the American one have lots of good info on their sites. Lots of good stuff here, too!

Thanks for the information, I have an appointment with the GI nurse practitioner tomorrow to get the results of the 11 vials of blood lab work they ordered, hope it tells something.....one way or the other.....

Well, went to GI on Thursday, was told it was Crohn‘s and they wanted to start me on Imuran 50mg twice a day......THEN changed their mind when i reminded them i had Histoplasmosisas a kid,now i have to go to Infectious Disease Doc and Pulmonologist to make sure that i dont have any active histoplasmosis right now......frustrating that the GI Doc at first said only option was Imuran or Humira until i told them about the histoplasmosis (again) then we all of sudden had multiple options......

No answers as of yet. GI referred me to infectious disease (ID) doctor to rule out active histoplasmosis before starting meds. Still waiting on those results, will ses ID again this coming Thursday. He repeated a lot of my blood work that was just done 12/31, only difference I see in the lab is that the sed rate came down 5pts from 40-35 (YAY!) and the c-reactive protein came up from 2.1 to 2.6 and the WBC up a little from 10.1 to 12.3 and my platelets are up from 391 to 449, the rest of my labs are normal. I am VERY thankful that I don't feel sick, I think that is why I have such a hard time accepting that I am sick.....