• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Confused

Hi everyone, I am new to the group after having just this week been diagnosed with UC, but I am now confused. Up until now after searching the web I was on gluten free bread, lactos free milk and dairy free margarine which seemed to help me, however, after my consultation on Wednesday and being given medication I informed my consultant of this and he stated I could eat anything, whatever I wanted as I was not coeliac (hope I've spelt it right), so this is why I'm confused. Although he did state spicy hot food could cause an event.

I should point out that I have no pain or any other symptoms only the urgent need at times to visit the bathroom at times, otherwise I am ok.

Regards

Nigel

Your consultant is right that there's no evidence that gluten or lactose/dairy affect UC inflammation. So if you don't have coeliac or lactose intolerance either you may be fine eating them.

However, while your diet is not going to put you in remission or keep you there, many people with IBD find what they eat affects their day to day symptoms, so if you eat a particular food it's not going to cause inflammation in your intestine, but it might exacerbate your symptoms temporarily after you've eaten it. (I hope that explanation is accurate and not too confusing.)

But the foods that cause bad reactions in one person may be fine for someone else; there are some foods which seem to cause problems for many people, but some trial and error is needed. Gluten and dairy seem to be among the foods that are difficult for a lot of people with IBD, but you'll need to find out for yourself if they're difficult for you. Other common "trigger" foods (foods which worsen symptoms) are high fibre foods, fatty foods, spicy foods and alcohol. Don't change too many things in your diet at once so you'll know what's made the difference if you do find you feel better.

My GI told me there is no diet for IBD. Some foods may make symptoms worse, but food does not cause the disease or cause a flare. I say eat what makes you feel good. If you would like to add those items back into your diet only add one at a time, in case something gives you problems you will know what it is.

Many thanks UnXmas and teeny5 for your responses and the links, they have been most helpful. I certainly have a lot of reading and research to do. No doubt I will post some more questions as part of my learning experience.

Once again many thanks, much appreciated.

Kind regards

:) Nigel

I was under the same misapprehension as you Nigel, about having to stop eating certain foods, until my IBD nurse told me otherwise.
In the year since my diagnosis, and once it all settled down, I've been eating and drinking pretty much anything and everything with no ill effects 😀
However, since this flare up I'm now in started a few weeks ago, I've been eating differently just to try and help get it under some control. Big mistake yesterday was a few glasses of prossecco, am suffering for it today...but it was worth it 😉
Bunty x

Bunty. Thats funny. Lol. Hi Branchman. You know your body best. Yes Drs are very knowledgeable. However, if sticking to your gluten free foods and lactose free stuff all this time you feel has helped you then why change? For me before my surgery I was very concious about what I ate. 2 yrs ago when I really got sick I decided to get on the same diet as you are on right now. Although it didnt make the flare up go away it helped some in my case. I was shocked bc my GI told me same thing i can have what i want just keep a food journal and right down everything i eat. That just seemed like too much work for me. Lol but if yiu do decided to branch out with foods.. i agree dont do it all at once and maybe you should keep a food journal. Good Luck. :)

Hi Bunty, all I've learnt so far is this is a mine field whereby one day you will be ok and the next the same thing will cause you a problem. What I do need to do is make any changes in my diet in slow time and note any changes.

Hi Crohnzie Girl, you are right I should listen to my body and let it tell me what I can or can't have.

But thank you both for your responses and I will be in touch very soon.

Kind regards

Nigel