• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constant snacking!!Diet help..

Hi guys for years now I've been a constant snacker.
I tend to eat every few hours and try to avoid large meals,one of the things I snack on alot is crips,I eat about 5 packets aday just to try and maintain a decent weight.
My diet is pretty good apart from the crips I juice all my fruit and veg everyday and drink two litres of water a day along with two ensure drinks.
Question is I'm trying to gain weight but worried about the five bags of crisps a day,any good healthy alternatives to keep a steady weight?

Avocado! They are easy to pack and take to work or wherever, great for snacking, and full of healthy fats! I like to eat them by themselves with a spoon, or with cold leftover chicken and cheese.

Smooth peanut butter and nut butters are healthy and have lots of calories. Avoid the kind that have icing sugar. I just buy the kind that has peanuts as ingredients, nothing else. Can you tolerate cheese? Cheese and crackers makes a nice snack. Chocolate soy milk tastes really good and has about 150 calories per cup. I would worry about the amount of salt in the crisps. People tend to eat too much salt to begin with. Have you been to a dietician?

What about nutrition drinks? Fortisip do a high calorie one. 5 packets of crisps not good for you. I have one packet a day for the salt as my electrolytes are out of wack.

What about cheese and crackers? Perhaps a few slices of toast with butter and topping of your choice. I like marmite or a cheese spread, but a seedless jam would be a good idea. Eggs are pretty good and easy too. You can easily scramble eggs in the microwave or on the stove top. They are my go-to breakfast if I have the time.

Other good snacks can be milkshakes or yoghurt if you can tolerate dairy. Fruit juices are also good with vitamins and can pack a few calories. I would eat peanut or almond butter too if I liked it, but I hate them with a passion.