• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipated - Need help.. Abscess? Psyllium Husk

I have been constipated for the last 2 months, going once a week. I have talked to my GI about this but he is hesitant to offer any form of laxatives so I tried OTC ones twice. Cramps were painful so I stopped.

So now, I put in quite a bit of effort trying to have bowel movement. Last weekend, I think I pushed too hard I started bleeding. I have some pain in the same region I had my abscess drained over a year ago but I notice no lumps whatsoever. I had some extra antibiotics so decided to take it w/o doctor suggestion till I got see him in 2 days.

Should I take psyllium husk? I notice some members give feedback on psyllium husks for Diarrhoea. Wonder if it might help. I am eating enough fruits and a LOT of water but nothing seem to help much.

Hard to give you much advices without knowing the details on how is your disease (location, possible strictures, actual treatment).

"If you have strictures or are at risk for obstruction, it is not recommended to take psyllium"

High fiber products are not recommended in many cases of crohn's. Not sure antibiotics are a good ideaa. But i understand you looking for solution. Could you not stress your doc again to have answers and suggestions?

Lady Organic

Staff member
There is also a chance you may have hemorhoids. They often come with constipation, by pushing too hard and can have the same clinical symptoms and presentation of abscesses. hemorhoids can bleed. I once had an internal one that was misdiagnosed for an abscess by my primary care dr.
I'd wait for your dr opinion in 2 days before taking the psyllium. I used to consume it and it made my stools very big and lumpy.

There is also a chance you may have hemorhoids. They often come with constipation, by pushing too hard and can have the same clinical symptoms and presentation of abscesses. hemorhoids can bleed. I once had an internal one that was misdiagnosed for an abscess by my primary care dr.
I'd wait for your dr opinion in 2 days before taking the psyllium. I used to consume it and it made my stools very big and lumpy.
Thanks for this. I am a bit less concerned about the pain now. Hopefully, its just hemorrhoids.

I will be seeing my GI tmr. Wishing it isn't an abscess since I don't have fever but my gut is telling me it is an abscess.

Hard to give you much advices without knowing the details on how is your disease (location, possible strictures, actual treatment).

"If you have strictures or are at risk for obstruction, it is not recommended to take psyllium"

High fiber products are not recommended in many cases of crohn's. Not sure antibiotics are a good ideaa. But i understand you looking for solution. Could you not stress your doc again to have answers and suggestions?
I don't have any obstruction. May I know what you mean by location of disease? I know my ileum is narrow than an average person (found during a colonoscopy as the tube couldn't get through).

Just an update. Turns out I have a abscess and was prescribed some antibiotics. The abscess has shrunk and pain is completely gone. It is looking positive now and hoping for no I&D.