• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation and Crohn's

Hi,
I'm 50 years old and have had Crohn's since 20's. I only have disease in the colon and my biggest problem is constipation (aches, arthritis and fatigue too). Many doctors have told me to have my colon removed. Currently on Humira and methotrexate injection along with dilzicol. Anyone have similar problem? Any thoughts on diet?
Thanks!

Hi. I dont really have any advice just letting you know youre not alone!
I get more C than i do D. And it is just as debilitating sometimes! For me it is just like my bowels have gone to sleep for a while! i once went 3 months before I managed to go! Crazy. If im suffering really bad i tend to do the general low residue or more liquid diet soups shakes etc. and i always have a stash of sachets to take to keep the bowels awake. im not always successful though so i am interested in any other replies you may get! :)

nogutsnoglory

Prune juice can be very helpful in fighting your constipation. I assume anything fibrous is out of the question now considering your colon is in bad shape but fiber would help increases regularity.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has similar constipation issues.
Pears and sweet potato juice (v8 fusion) are easier than pruned which can cause cramping.
He takes alot of miralax to maintain plus humira.
Remicade stopped it for a bit.
Good luck