• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation from colonoscopy?

I had my colonoscopy last Tuesday (4th). I had a bm on Wednesday and since then.............nothing. I know I have to go cuz I feel "full", but nothing is happening. It's right there, waiting to come out, but it won't. It's starting to get a bit uncomfortable. Is this common? I don't remember how it worked after the one I had 5 years ago.

What were the results of the colonoscopy? It can take a while but these does seem excessive. You should probably call your doctor's office in the morning.

The results were a normal terminal ileum (even though 5 years ago, it wasn't normal and it had scarring - so.....where did the scarring go?) and an area of infection in the decending colon. I see my GI later this morning. I'm hoping to be able to "go" before then.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
If you feel something is there try something gentle like apple juice if you can tolerate it.

I keep raving about it but it worked for me post barium follow through recently on the suggestion of my pharmacist who didnt want to give me ANY sort of laxative.

Just a thought..

merrywidow -- um......gas is not a problem for me........except for the frequency and the:blush: smell :blush: Though i do wonder how gas is getting through if nothing else does.............

I will have to try the apple juice. Lord knows nothing else is working! Hopefully soon. It's not like this is the first time. It just seems like if I had Crohn's I'd be going non-stop instead of this once-a-week thing. I do have periods where I'm going 1-2 times per day (love those days - most comfortable!) and a few days here and there where I go way too much. My "habits" seem to go in streaks I guess!

I once had a Barium Enema many years ago for Chronic D. It was likely Crohn's back then but undiagnosed. Strangely, after the procedure, I had no more problems for 20 some years.

I think when you flush yourself out, you also flush out a lot of the bacteria causing problems. This could cause a sudden firming of stool and in your case constipation.

Things should normalize after a while. Magnesium is a good laxative and helps your immune system at the same time. Larger doses are needed for a laxative effect.

Dan

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Yay for Jenny!

We are so easily pleased round here arent we! lol

Glad you got some relief - whether it was of its own volition or something you did worked!

Drinking enough water on a regular basis can help with this issue (constipation after colonoscopy) not to mention since with D you can easily get dehydrated it's another good reason to make sure you drink plenty of water regularly, plus water helps flush toxins out of your system.

Glad you were finally able to "go" again, constipation is sooooo uncomfortable and painful.

:)