• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation Relief?

allieinwonder

Hey ladies and Gents,

I've been looking for this everywhere, but I decided you guys might be my best source. ;)

I have always been irregular since this started years ago, but during this flare it has been a rollercoaster that I can't seem to control. Off the Tramadol for awhile and its D...then the pain gets bad, I take the tramadol, and I can't seem to go at all. So I stop taking the pain meds, deal with the pain, and try everything I can to get myself to go >.<.

How do you guys deal with the constipation of the pain meds? I've tried miralax, stool softeners (they make me super nauseous though), coffee, drinking a ton of gatorade, etc. I know you guys love that it stops the D, and I do too...but I don't like that it makes it the complete opposite, lol.

So, anyone have any tricks to deal with this?

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
lots and lost of water. I only use pain meds in a flare, so for me the constipation provides a little relief.

But you could talk to your doctor about taking a smaller dose of a stronger painkiller. It's the quantity of the opiate not the strength of that causes the bowel slowdowns.