• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation with a Stoma

Hey guys...
Just had to share this with someone, but have any of you had bad constipation with a stoma?

I've been getting constipated a lot lately, and MAN does it hurt when it is about to come out. Its like the worst crohns pain... but its not crohns pain... Kinda how i imagine contractions feel like. Is it like this for anyone else?

So lame! Not used to being constipated... Any tips?

xx Charlotte

Terriernut

Charlotte, I've heard of a few folks with constipation problems with colostomy's. You can 'irrigate' it actually. But, I think the stoma nurse will have to show you how the first time.

I bet that is painful!!! Damnation, I dont envy you.

Nope you definitely can! And it SUCKS! I don't know if people with an ileostomy can get constipated but i have a colostomy which means i still have some large intestine. Oh and Misty, have you ever irrigated? It kinda freaks me out. blergh! lol

Terriernut

No I havent irrigated! But I reckon it must be like just jetting some water in there. I'd try the stool softeners first! Did you ring the stoma nurse yet?