• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coping Through Humor

I'm having surgery this coming Monday (my entire colon will be removed because of pre-cancerous growths and fear that it'll get me kicked off the liver transplant list [I have PSC as well]). I'll admit that I have occasional episodes of freaking out, but I try to keep my sense of humor intact as much as possible, which I think has really helped me thus far.

Anyway, the reality of the situation finally hit me, and I felt the only way to express myself was through a Dear John letter to my colon.

http://boloby.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/dear-colon/

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this rough time. :( But as you say, humor can sometimes help. What you're feeling is natural and please know that we're all here for you. Please keep us updated on how you're doing or if you need to talk. Sending you many hugs. :ghug:

Thanks, Cross-stitch gal. I will definitely be posting updates as soon as I'm able to. I'm trying to document as much of my experience as possible.

scottsma

Just to say all the very best for your future B.,I really feel for you.There's not much you can do about it so I agree humour can be better than the alternative.I hope you have lots of support from family and friends,and please be assured you will get lots of support from the forum.Your experiences will help others in a similar situation,so your updates will be appreciated.Best Wishes.

Kev

Years back, someone posted a link on the health benefits of a positive, upbeat attitude. The numbers (my memory isn't reliable.. more likely libel) showed an 8 times overall better outcome Vs folks with negative or pessimistic attitudes. But, researchers went on to say if you were naturally a 'glass half empty' sort of person.. that all was not lost. You could train yourself psychologically to improve your health status by picturing the worst case scenario, detailing all the links it would take for that to occur, then focus on breaking one of those.

Anyway, I digress. Point is.. even if one dis-believes that a positive mental approach does improve ones health... regardless of circumstances, a positive approach will always improve ones life. Life is going to be what life is going to be.. it is up to us to make the most of it.

I have 'trained' my eye.. my mind.. my whole approach to life.. to find/see the humour there is.. even if at first it isn't obvious. Whether the positive effects one gets from it are real, or just perceived, doesn't really matter. Like, all those folks whose IBD improves from placebo effect... do you think they care? So, in short (yeah, like that is ever going to happen in one of my posts).. I think your humorous approach is one of the smartest moves you can make.

Scottsma makes a good point: In addition to a healthy attitude, a good support structure can be crucial. Fortunately, I have a lot of support from my family, friends and even my employer. The past three months have been the most difficult of my life, as new problems keep piling on. Sometimes, when humor eludes me, the knowledge that they're all on my side, ready to help out when needed, is all that keeps me from going nuts.