• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coping with Chronic Illness

I recently read to really great books I checked out at my library:

The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness
by Jerome Groopman

Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
by Laurie Edwards

Although neither of these books are about Crohn's specifically, they cover the psychological effects of having a chronic illness, and I particularly liked the book by Laurie Edwards b/c she talks about having a chronic illness in early adulthood. Many people think of chronic illness occuring later in life and it isn't uncommon to hear someone say, "oh you're young, you should be fine" or "you can't be that sick you are so young". Young professionals have additional obstacles that are only made harder by having a disease like Crohn's and she discusses ways to cope with having chronic illness specifically when you are young. I had never encountered a book like this one, and found it to be very uplifting.

:)

Ashlee, I just finished reading "Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties" by Laurie Edwards.

Thank you so much for recommending this book, I found it to be very helpful. Now I am going to read "The Anatomy of Hope". Thanks again.

I recently read to really great books I checked out at my library:

The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness
by Jerome Groopman

Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
by Laurie Edwards

Although neither of these books are about Crohn's specifically, they cover the psychological effects of having a chronic illness, and I particularly liked the book by Laurie Edwards b/c she talks about having a chronic illness in early adulthood. Many people think of chronic illness occuring later in life and it isn't uncommon to hear someone say, "oh you're young, you should be fine" or "you can't be that sick you are so young". Young professionals have additional obstacles that are only made harder by having a disease like Crohn's and she discusses ways to cope with having chronic illness specifically when you are young. I had never encountered a book like this one, and found it to be very uplifting.

:)
I have to have a look c if I can get hold of this book sounds good. Thanks for letting us know.

Sue x

old thread...

by Laurie Edwards

I think I may give this one a shot. Anybody have any other good reads on living with a chronic illness?

I took an 8-week course dealing with chronic illness, and this was the book we used:

Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions, 3rd Edition
Kate Lorig, R.N., Dr.P.H., Halsted Holman, M.D., David Sobel, M.D., Diana Laurent, M.P.H., Virginia Gonzalez, M.P.H., Marian Minor, R.P.T., Ph.D.
ISBN 978-1-933503-01-1

It's not Crohn's-specific, but I do remember finding some of it helpful.

You're welcome, Nytefyre!

The course was offered free-of-charge through my local health authority, and it was suggested to me by my therapist. It was called "Getting Better Together", in case it is offered in other communities. I found it to be pretty interesting, and I saw how having Crohn's has a lot of things in common with other people who suffer from things like chronic pain, asthma, and diabetes. It helped me get out of the house at a particularly difficult time. There was a lot of focus on setting goals, managing symptoms, and relaxation techniques.

I recommend checking out Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (a Hungarian psychologist). It's not a book about living with a chronic, but it's about living life. It's easily the most worthwhile and enjoyable book I've read. He spent years studying what makes things enjoyable and this book is basically his findings in terms you can understand (maybe not at first, but part of the fun is figuring it out).
ISBN 0-06-092043-2

I'll probably check out the books in OP soon.

effdee, that book looks really interesting! It's kind of funny. I have using the word flow to describe things like great club nights, how everything is at its top level and in its right place. I generally use it as a way to describe a perfect series of events, where everything is in harmony, that produces vivid memories. Everything has its own flow. It's a beautiful thing!

Anyway, I'm definitely going to give this a read! Thanks!

Really struggling to cope mentally right now with this disease so have ordered

by Laurie Edwards

Hope it gives me a boost x