• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coping with Crohn's

I'm a 20 year old student at William and Mary and was diagnosed with Crohn's a little over two years ago. I've taken a bunch of different meds. Recently I've been reduced to Humira, Apriso, Entocort and some supplements. I feel better than when I was diagnosed but still get a lot of side effects that make going to school or just out in public in general more uncomfortable. Despite feeling better physically I still feel depressed and just so alone. I've looked at forums before but never contributed before. It's just comforting knowing that I'm alone.
I try talking to family and friends and therapists but it just doesn't always help. I like being there for others to open up to and to help them with any problems but I won't allow others to do the same for me. I don't know why but I'm just so afraid they'll think differently of me. I get good marks in school but I have no interest in classes or the work I do. I feel as though I'm just going to be sick forever and die young so what's the point. I hate feeling like this but can't help it most of the time. I use to write a lot and now whenever I try I just can't. I feel that the only thing I really feel lately is pain and I don't like it. I can tell I've been distancing myself from everyone in my life but don't stop. I just don't want to be sick anymore but I know that's not how it works.
I have a younger brother who was diagnosed a few years before me but we've never been able to really relate or talk about it together. I hate that I had to leave him because I know he struggles with bouts of depression the same ways I do. I feel like I let him down by not being able to help him, even if it's not in my control.
I try to find strength in being sick but lately I just can't. I'm frustrated, upset and angry and just not sure what to do. I'm not suicidal but a lot of the time I feel like my life is pointless. It's just pain. Even the procedures and treatments suck and the meds just make me feel sick if different ways.

I'm sorry for the lack of organization in my post, I just decided to write whatever came to mind and not erase it this time. Thank you for reading what I have to say.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles :(

*hugs*

Franky, it's understandable that someone with Crohn's disease feels depressed on occasion. It's a tough disease :( However, there are common underlying issues that can make that depression MUCH worse than it should be which can easily be fixed. And when those underlying issues are fixed, then therapy and talking with others may work much better as well. Otherwise it's like not having oil in your car but putting a new spoiler on in an attempt to make it perform better. Anyway, what I'm referring to is vitamin B12, vitamin D, and magnesium deficiencies. People with Crohn's are VERY commonly deficient in any combination of those. Have you had your levels tested? If so, when, and what were they?

What symptoms are you having these days and how long have you been on the Humira now?

We're here for you anytime you need us :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry that you are having such a tough time of things, this disease can be truly horrible to deal with at times, just know you have come to the right place for lots of helpful info and support :hug: I can only agree with David about getting your vitamin levels checked and was also wondering what side effects you are getting?

AB
xx

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, UserName!

I'm very sorry to hear what you're going through. :hug:

I'm wondering how long you've been on the Humira. Does your doctor consider you to be in remission?

Hopefully reading through the forum and connecting with others in similar situations will help you feel a little better about things. Like David said, we're here if you need us!

Hi UserName & welcome!

am so glad you didn't delete your post this time as we all all been there personally or are helping a loved one deal with exactly what you are struggling with. I agree with David in that you need to have you Vitamin B12, D and magnesium levels tested because if you are deficient in any of those, they can cause you to get depressed. Taking the right vitamin supplements are as important or sometimes even more important than taking your meds. Please let us know what your levels are and, remember, it will get better. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. There are lots of really great people here who can help you and want to help so please reach out to us to vent or ask a question anytime. We are all in this together.

Take care.

Lisa :welcome:

Keep your head up it will get better, along with getting blood work done. Talk with a counselor, get out and do as much as you can to get your mind off the disease, and try to exercise daily even if lightly it really improves my overall well being.