• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Corn starch?

Hi
Im new to Crohn (about few months) as I know corn, popcorn and anything with corn can cause issues but what about corn starch?
Thank you

Scipio

Corn starch doesn't cause any issues for me, but neither do corn and popcorn. You will probably just have to try it and see. Which foods cause issues varies widely from one Crohn's patient to the next.

Corn and popcorn bother me only because of the kernel which I can not digest. i use corn starch all the time for cooking. I am allergic to flour.

Corn and popcorn bother me only because of the kernel which I can not digest. i use corn starch all the time for cooking. I am allergic to flour.
I also think I’m allergic to flour what test you did to find it? Also what’s your symptoms is the allergy attack start?

I should clarify I am allergic to gluten which is found in many foods but most people find it mostly in flour because that’s what we eat most. They do a test for celiac disease which my father also has. They had me eat foods with wheat in it for 2 weeks and than did 2 different blood tests. Could not tell the difference in symptoms between the crohn’s and celiac because they are so similar.

I should clarify I am allergic to gluten which is found in many foods but most people find it mostly in flour because that’s what we eat most. They do a test for celiac disease which my father also has. They had me eat foods with wheat in it for 2 weeks and than did 2 different blood tests. Could not tell the difference in symptoms between the crohn’s and celiac because they are so similar.
I don’t have celiac (blood test + biopsy) what is your Crohn symptoms? Lower right pain?

Right now no crohn’s or celiac symptoms every thing is under control. When I do have crohn’s symptoms it is pain where ever the inflammation happens to be in my intestines and diarrhea. I have had crohn’s in both the small and large intestine.

A dietician I spoke with suggested among other things avoiding GMOs and corn is often a GMO crop unless the label specifically indicates otherwise. I don't know how strong the research is with GMOs though or if it's all speculation. Our son's GI doctor has a little handout about things like emulsifiers and thickeners being problematic, but no mention of GMOs.

Last edited:
No corn for me. The GMO stuff sound's like BS to me but I've never researched it. A lot of GMO fear is fear, everything we eat has been genetically modified via breeding.

No corn for me. The GMO stuff sound's like BS to me but I've never researched it. A lot of GMO fear is fear, everything we eat has been genetically modified via breeding.
You are right that there is some fear about GMOs and there is not enough research to know if it is warranted. One issue with GMOs is the crops are engineered to be more resistant to harmful pesticides like Round Up. The farmer can spray Round-up and get rid of weeds without killing the food crops. it's not so easy to wash those pesticides completely off. Yes, there are naturally genetically modified plants, but that is different. One prominent GI Dr who takes a holistic approach said the research isn't there yet, but there is some evidence to suggest GMOs may be damaging to the gut so avoiding GMOs is something she has people consider who have various GI issues. We won't know if it is BS or not until there is more research.

GMOs and Pesticides: Helpful or Harmful? - Science in the News (harvard.edu)
Genetically modified foods: safety, risks and public concerns—a review - PMC (nih.gov)

Last edited:
I could believe the truth is GMO allows harsher chemical treatments and those affect the gut. Whereas non GMO needs more organic methods.

You are right that there is some fear about GMOs and there is not enough research to know if it is warranted. One issue with GMOs is the crops are engineered to be more resistant to harmful pesticides like Round Up. The farmer can spray Round-up and get rid of weeds without killing the food crops. it's not so easy to wash those pesticides completely off. Yes, there are naturally genetically modified plants, but that is different. One prominent GI Dr who takes a holistic approach said the research isn't there yet, but there is some evidence to suggest GMOs may be damaging to the gut so avoiding GMOs is something she has people consider who have various GI issues. We won't know if it is BS or not until there is more research.

Genetically modified foods: safety, risks and public concerns—a review - PMC (nih.gov)
QUOTE="Stressedmom, post: 1050667, member: 446794"]

[/QUOTE]