• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Corn! :x

Okay I am curious - do any of you fellow IBD people have issues with corn?

I eliminated it from my diet a few months ago when I cut out red meat and most veggies and have slowly been letting the veggies back in to see what happens.

Well, the other day I ate a cob of corn and it was pure **LL! :ymad:

I ended up having bloody D the next day, and it felt like my guts were being ripped open and I was flaring like crazy. :ybatty:

THANKFULLY, the next day the flare and bloody D was gone! Since then, without the corn in my system, no D and no flare.

I spoke with my dietician and, knowing my very limited diet, she said don't cut out things like corn flour/cereal/etc that is made out of processed corn because the corn germ will be removed by that point.

Is corn an evil thing for any more of you? or it is just me?

No, you're not the only one! I have problems with sweetcorn and popcorn. I had the tiniest piece (about 1cm) of corn on the cob and had to spend the next day tucked up in bed! With the popcorn I tried maybe 5 pieces and my tummy growled so loud I'm glad I didn't eat any more. I seem fine with cornflakes etc. I think it is because the skin of sweetcorn passes through and irritates on the way, and popcorn is high in fibre.

A lot of ibd people have problems with skins because they arent digestable. My aunt actually volunteers at a crohns camp on california and a rule of theirs is no skins and no seeds because it makes so many of the kids sick

Astra

Me neither! but I can eat cornflakes no problem. sweetcorn always comes out the same way it went in!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
When I'm not flaring, I can eat corn no problem. I won't even see it in the toilet, which is weird I think since many non-crohnies even seem to have that problem.
I will never eat popcorn for the rest of my life however. The way it seemingly scratches up your insides is not for me!

When I'm not flaring, I can eat corn no problem. I won't even see it in the toilet, which is weird I think since many non-crohnies even seem tohttp://www.crohnsforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=218661 have that problem.
I will never eat popcorn for the rest of my life however. The way it seemingly scratches up your insides is not for me!
That is weird!

I eat popcorn in moderation, myself, maybe that is why it doesn't cause me to flare? Popcorn is obviously high salt and I am on a sodium-reduced diet.

And for the others, I am glad that I am not the only who can't tolerate corn anymore. If it really is all about seeds, could that me why nuts or even sunflower seeds gives me a sore stomach after even a small amount consumed?

I have no issues with corn products. I haven't tried corn on the cob or popcorn yet, just thought it was a bad idea

I haven't tried sweetcorn or popcorn since my operation, although my surgeon told me I was okay to eat and drink what ever I wanted.

But before my operation I couldn't eat sweetcorn or peas without a lot of pain.

I think most crohnies will have trouble with corn, it's just one of those problem foods. In the scope of things it's commonplace.

Liam

Crohns

I love a wide variety of fruit, but I have reduced the intake since my diag last Nov 2010.
Anyone have any advice as to what is ok to eat? I am in the middle of a flare up, on pred & Pentasa

I do not eat corn or corn on the cobb. Also I do not eat popcorn.

@ Toneloc: Everyone is different on what they can handle. I would just try small amounts of things at first to see what you might be able to tolerate. Over time you will see what foods work with you and which ones work against you.

Food

Hi there
Many thanks for your reply, I think it is the best advice to give, i am experimenting with grapes, but they seem to upset my guts big time, oranges next, hope they are better
XXX

I can eat corn products without problem (corn tortillas, for instance) but can't eat corn due to the skins I assume. My doc warned me about it the day I was dx'd.

I can eat hull-less popcorn without problem. I can even eat regular popcorn but am too paranoid to eat it in case it BECOMES a problem.

I assume it's a given that I eat any popcorn rarely. It's not like I eat it every day.

I have discovered there is only a few things with skin I can eat...peas, coloured peppers (NOT green), and apples (red delicious and granny smith)...anything else I can eat a TINY bit of maybe once a month! I also very rarely eat nuts, now. And corn well I eat corn flour, but haven't had popcorn in a few months so I should be able to handle it when I get a craving for it.