• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Corona Virus

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Not particularly, especially since I do not have any plans to travel to China etc....however, I will be flying out of JFK this Sunday - planning on staying away from anyone who even looks sick!

Scipio

I think they will get this virus under control the same way they did the SARS outbreak (SARS was also a coronavirus) back in 2003-04 - by tradtional public health measures such as face masks, hand washing, quarantine, patients treated under isolation/containment conditions, travel retrictions, and good old-fahioned cleaning up of places where the virus can spread.

Last edited:
Felt a bit fluish then went to the doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about. Need to remind myself that the other normal bugs/flu/colds are still out there!

I'm watching it, but not overly concerned. Much the same way I monitor flu reports during the fall and winter. I can't take a flu shot, so I take as many precautions as I can. I wash my hands many times a day and try to avoid being in close contact with people as much as possible.

That is good advice Mountaineer, thanks. Yes, all the other flus etc are still out there.

Thanks for the link Scipio. it has been bookmarked.

I forgot to add one more thing: don't plan on making a trip to China anytime soon and don't have close contact with anyone who has traveled there recently.

Still monitoring the situation. Does no good to worry.

It's a nasty virus, though sometimes I think the media is trying to cause a panic.

Last edited:

Scipio

There is a possible silver lining on COVID19 cloud for Crohn's patients on immunosuppressive therapy. Namely, the immunosuppressive therapy might serve to dampen the runaway immune response that occurs in the worst COVID19 cases. Most people have a mild respiratory infection, but in the worst COVID19 cases the immune system goes nuts trying to battle the infection and creates a lot of damage in the lungs, sometimes leading to trouble breathig and even death.

China is now turning to an immunosuppressive arthritis drug to fight these severe cases. The drug binds with and innactivates the inflammatory lymphokine IL-6 receptor, similar to the way Stelara inactivates other inflammatory lymphokines IL-12 and IL-23 by binding them directly. This blocking of IL-6 activity keeps the runaway immune response in check allowing the patients to recover.

You can read about this approach here:
https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma...mra-against-covid-19-new-treatment-guidelines

So I must stress that there is no data now on using Stelara or any other Crohn's drug to fight raging COVID19 infections, but my hope is that the Stelara I'm on might have some beneficial effects in that direction should I come down with the virus. Until we have more and better data it's a total long-shot wish. But I'll take it at this point.

Last edited:
Anyone on immunosuppressive medication currently a bit concerned about the current corona virus outbreak?
I am a bit concerned as I have severe COPD as well as Crohns so am prone to chest infections. I’ve only had the beginning booster shots of adalimumab but have been advised by GP to ask for an alternative.

Bio-Thera’s adalimumab biosimilar to be turned on COVID-19
Website chictr.org.cn indicates that China-based Bio-Thera Solutions Ltd’s Qletli, a biosimilar version of AbbVie's auto-immune disease drug adalimumab (trade name: Humira), has been filed for a clinical study treating severe and critically ill patients with COVID-19. Filed by Shanghai Changzheng Hospital, a Class 3A hospital, the trial is designed to assess the safety and efficacy of the drug.
Qletli gained market approval in China in November 2019, as GBI reported, to treat ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. It is the first official adalimumab biosimilar approved in China.
Humira is the world’s first-in-class anti-tumor necrosis factor ɑ (TNF-ɑ) monoclonal antibody (mAb). It specifically binds to soluble human TNF-ɑ and blocks its interaction with cell surface TNF receptors p55 and p75, thus blocking the inflammatory effects of TNF-ɑ. AbbVie has enjoyed Humira’s status as the world’s top-selling drug for the last seven years, generating USD 20.5 billion in sales during 2018.

Very interesting Scipio and kallaikoi.
I think there is something to this.

Now there is talk of using that other malaria drug for covid19 that, surprise surprise, also mildly suppresses the immune system?

Was just thinking. 100% there are people who have Crohn's Disease/UC that would have caught COVID-19 out there in the world.

Are there any studies/info on what happened to these peeps?

Edit these are two good sources:

Last edited: