• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coughing up yellow mucous after first infusion

My husband had his very first remicade infusion this past Friday. He received it after being admitted for his first major flare. Until today he has been reaction free with no side affects.
This afternoon he's been coughing up yellow mucous, but hasn't been sick or had any cold/flu like symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks!
Lisa

He was just discharged today after his very first major flare that landed him in the hospital for 11 days. Been diagnosed with Crohn's for 15 years now and has only had 4 flares in 15 years. Guess we've been lucky until now!

Possible that he picked up something while in the hospital? Yellow mucous is a sign of infection. Remicade can lower your immune system and make you more susceptible to picking up infection.

hi lisa,
welcome to the forum.

Upper respiratory tract infections are more common in patients on Remicade and it is important to report symptoms of cough, sputum production (brown or yellow coughed-up phlegm), fever or chills to your physician immediately.

report it to his Gi or GP asap as he will need an antibiotic for it.
I had a sore throat yesterday with no fever or white spots but my GP insisted I take antibiotics as a precaution.
all the best
ju

I cough up yellow mucous almost every morning on Remicade. It usually goes away in a week or so, and I have no other problems. It probably is due to the lowered immune system and he should definitely tell his doc, but if it is only a little mucous I don't think it is something to be too worried about.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Same thing here.....as Sassycat.... no fever, chills, etc...but usually have some type of cough. Having allergies to hay/dust don't help either.

Thanks ladies!! I'll have him give his doc a call. I run a daycare out of our home, so I'm pretty nervous he will be sick ALL of the time!!
Didn't think we were the culprits this time as he was just discharged yesterday and came home with the cough/mucous.
Thanks again.
Lisa

Argh.... Just spent the evening on the er. Hubby came down with bacterial pnuemonia. I'm guessing he picked it up during his hospital stay.
Really worried the antibiotic that they prescribed doesn't add fuel to the fire with his current flare. Poor guy!
Anyone know if the doxycycline the doc prescribed will prevent him from getting his next infusion! Will be on day 7 of 10 days ordered on antibiotic for the infusion next Friday...
Can't believe he has caught something already!!!!!
To add to the mix his sodium was low, he's dehydrated, and hemoglobin was only 10.
Wondering if we've made the right choice to start the rem.

oh no, that's awful.
im not while sure about this but based on my own experiences the infusion will go ahead only if he's recovered. it wont make a difference either if the infusion is delayed, it took me a month to get my 2nd infusion and I've been successful on it.
I would think that the pneumonia was already working on him when he got his infusion, sure he had green mucous the day after didn't he?
He needs building up again after that flare. I hope he recovers soon and gets a chance to feel the benefits of the remicade. look at it as a wee blip, it'll be ok.
ju