• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coughing

I started Humira two days ago. A few weeks before that, I had had a cold or something, and for some reason whenever I get sick, I tend to get over everything except coughing within a couple days, and then keep coughing for weeks. I'm not the only person I know who experiences this, either. Anyways, I attributed the coughing to that fact about me (that it always happens to me), BUT wanting to play it 100% safe, I waited until my cough had completely subsided before I started the Humira, which I did two days ago.

...And now I'm kind of coughing a little bit again. Nothing bad, but it has come back a little bit. The paranoid side of me is saying "You've got the tuberculosis" and the opposite side of me is saying "It's just a little bit more lingering cough from before, it will go away." I don't know which side to trust...is it anything to be concerned about? I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid but I'm new at this. :S

Ian

Hi Caleb,

I'd try not to worry. These meds lower the immune system so getting coughs and colds is ineveitable. It's really unlikely to be anything more than that :) In fact if you only started 2 days ago it probably isn't even related; just the remains of your previous cold like you said.

I'm actually in the same boat; started Humira quite recently and have a really violent cough! But this is what my coughs are always like, so I've no reason to think it's anything more than that.

If you're really worried about it though, contact your GI or general doctor. I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at rest.

ameslouise

I agree with Ian - probably just leftover from your previous cold. Try not to worry and if it persists or gets worse, have the doc listen to your chest to see if there's anythig more serious going on.

Good luck with the Humira - hope it helps for you!

- Amy

I cough a lot on Humira, I think it says it can cause upper respiratory issues. I think TB is mostly a prolonged, productive cough in which you have blood tinged sputum. If its not productive (where you actually cough stuff up) and you aren't coughing up blood I wouldn't worry too much.