• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could genetically modified foods be the cause?

Im wondering how many cases of colon problems started popping up after 2001 (like myself and most of my family members) after genetically modified foods were coming into the market) I got crohn`s after eating mission tortillas with gm corn around 2001. Im wondering how many people experienced this disease after these gm foods were in the market.

Crohn's Disease has been around a lot longer then GM foods. The symptoms that would be classified as IBD were first described in the 1700s by an Italian doctor, then again by Polish and Scottish doctors in the early 20th century. It formally came into being in the 1932's when Crohn published an article on inflammation in the terminal ileum in a number of patients. It's blatant fearmongering to try and blame GM crops.

Gm foods are not a factor in crohns us humans have been altering foodstuffs and breeding animals for specific purposes for centuries

It is interesting to see that Crohns is almost entirely concentrated in USA, Europe and Australia, while Africa and Asia its almost non existent.........

I think there is no question that GM foods pay a role is gastric problems. I also believe that they have caused or exaggerated many other symptoms that have led to many diseases. There is so much chemical in the food we take every day .
Doctor argued with me at the start about my diet , I was eating very healthy food and still was ill all the time.
I did do a short stoppage of all refined sugars once for three weeks and honestly never felt better. Also abstaining from coffee and most meat for a while . Both times I improved but still was on medication . The only thing I proved is that when you have IBD ,everything effects it . Theres a different reaction to all foods. Some less than others.
Its a balancing act every day. I believe there is a hugh increase in IBD because of GM foods and the human digestive system is not coping with it anymore.

Crohn's is more common in less sunny places, perhaps because of Vitamin D deficiency. There apparently is also connection with diets high in processed foods. The "processed" part may well include GMOs, but may not. I've read that modern wheat has been bred (not through genetic modification in a lab, but through traditional methods) to have vastly more protein than ancient wheat, hence the development of so many people with gluten sensitivities.

All this makes it logical that many people with Crohn's do well on the "Paleo" diet and its science-based cousin the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It's pretty much impossible to be on SCD and eat processed foods, you don't know what is in them, you have to make things yourself. (Yesterday I made ketchup! It was quite easy, and tastes good!)

Crohn's was around long before GM foods.

We are missing good bacteria in our intestines that fight the bad stuff we encounter in our environment, leading to chronic infection and inflammation. It's something scientists call colonization resistance, where the presence of the good bacteria inhibit the bad from colonizing our guts.

Antibiotics are now suspect to be one of many risk factors for developing Crohn's with four studies finding a link. I will testify i developed mine after a course of antibiotics, and i also was exposed to other risk factors like vitamin d deficit(working the night shift) and low fiber diet and little consumption of fruits as a source of dietary fiber. Fiber feeds the good bacteria in the gut, so i was more susceptible to damage from antibiotics rendering bacteria that regulate the inflammatory response extinct.

A Fecal Microbiota transplant may cure IBD by restoring the good bacteria.
Read more here!
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52400

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1997, way before GMO foods came on the market. However, I wouldn't be surprised if 20 years from now, there was some study that showed GMO foods were responsible for something, perhaps the rise in Autism or ADHD or something. But I don't think that they cause Crohn's.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
If you look at the prevalence of IBD amongst cultures, as mentioned earlier there is a lower incidence amongst Asia, Africa and while not mentioned South America. One of the suspected reasons behind this is industrial farming practices of the west. High intensity farming produces a meat that is lower in Omega 3 and much higher in Omega 6. This has been proven. Omega 6 increases inflammation in the body when we consume too much of it. Beef which North America, Europe and Australia eats in vast quantities, is incredibly high in omega 6. Japan traditionally had a diet heavy in protein derived from fish, the past 25-30 years have seen beef consumption sky rocket in Japan there is correlation between this consumption and the rise in IBD cases.
South America, where the incidence has always been traditionally low, also eat large quantities of meat, beef in particular, but is raising livestock using traditional techniques and feeding cows a grass based diet. Which produces and animal with more omega 3 than the grain and corn fed animals that are produced by N. America, et al.

This combined combined with the levels of processed food, genetic susceptibility based upon race and theories regarding western society being far too clean (theories based upon parasites strengthening the immune system), all of these explain the increasing amount of IBD diagnoses over the past 40 years.

The world as a whole has hit "peak wheat", there is quite frankly no way we can produce more yield than we already are, we are faced with eating less meat and increasing plant consumption to a level previous to industrial farming (which will not happen) or seeking ways to produce more crops.
I've trusted and let science keep me alive, clothe me, medicate me etc etc, I'm not going to tell it to scram when it starts going near my soy beans.

Oh Mosanto is literally like comic book villain levels of evil but I don't know if this is the place to discuss the excesses of Ameircan corporate culture and its horrible distorting effects on the world food economy.