• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could it still be Crohn's?

Hi Everyone

I have been having bad abdominal pains etc for about a year and a half, they took some blood tests which showed my C reactive protein was high, the doctors and consultant told me that they thought I probably had crohn's so they did a colonoscopy but it and the biopsy's came back negative.

They then said its ibs and that was the end of it, im still struggling with the stomach problems and nothing seems to help but i left it at that apart from seeing the doctor a few times to try different antispasmodics.

Anyway for the last 7 months i have been getting very sore throats, i have seen the doctors a few times and they have said its because of ulcers in my throat, i saw a doctor this week who said he thinks it could be Crohn's disease, I explained that i had been tested for it and he said to come back if im no better in a month but he wont know what todo then.

Is it possible that it is still Crohn's, it seems odd to have been told it from 2 different symptoms?

Any help would be appreciated

Hi, CD can occur from mouth to anus so one test on the large bowel is nowhere near enough. Raised CRP is a red flag symptom- to make a dx of IBS ALL TESTS should be normal- so one normal scope and an abnormal CRP does not make an IBS dx.

There are miles and miles of small bowel left to check as well as the other parts of the digestive system.

I would ask for a referral to see a GI and get you properly tested.

I too had raised CRP (it's been high for 5 years since I first got sick- every single time it has been tested, and it's been tested alot over the last 2 years!) and was fobbed off with IBS after a normal c scope. 5 years on I am iller than ever and semi housebound. After developing joint pain 2 years ago, at which point my stomach symptoms nosedived and the fatigue became intolerable.

They haven't pin pointed CD for me yet, had some tests, denied others, and now waiting for exploratory surgery so they can have a look and take some biopsies. It may be for me a rare illness or turn out to be CD after all.

Could you go into your symptoms in a little more detail so we can try and help you figure out what might be wrong?

Hi

Thanks for your reply, I get really bad pain lower central/right side of my abdomen, diarrhoea most of the time, im tired allot but i was anaemic a few months ago. I some times feel nauseous but im not sick and i lose my appitie quite often which makes my weight drop.

And now i keep getting massive ulcers in the back of my throat but there in no infection or anything.

I have had a colonoscopy done and a barium meal but both came back normal

I think they are considering sending me to the GI again but i was just confused after being told its not crohn's.

Thanks for your help

Ah well aneamia can be a warning sign for Crohn's too. Also weight loss which you should not get with IBS.
I can understand your confusion but it seems the Drs were not through enough the first time as happened with me, and far too many other people.