• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could there be a connection between bipolar disorder and Crohn's

I believe so. Because when I'm in my most stressed out state and have a lot of anxiety (college related) my QOL dwindles to the point where I need to be hospitalized during finals. This I believe was caused by the severe depression I was experiencing.

Several months after I became manic then schizophrenic believing that people with this disease were the next step of evolution, which is why it's forcing our bodies to only eat healthy things (even so far as cooked veggies and fruit).

This also made me think that there may be a link to the genetic flaw that causes bipolar disorder and crohn's. Though as we all know that the crohn's mutation can be caused by a number of factors like environmental, medical, or genealogical.

I'm just wondering if my bipolar schizophrenia is a symptom of crohn's, or if the crohn's is a symptom of the bipolar schizophrenia.

David

Co-Founder
I'll take a shot :)

I do not believe Crohn's Disease is a symptom of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. However, I believe that there are similar triggers and exacerbating factors. A simple example would be Vitamin D Deficiency. Hopefully by now everyone here knows how important it is to maintain high levels of vitamin D if you have IBD. Well, if you have schizophrenia, give this a read.

I've read a few times that it is fairly common for those with bowel issues to also have psychological problems. The mental condition can be as mild as a social phobia, to full blown schizophrenia.

I recall this Forbes article about a writer of theirs overcoming his bipolar condition with changing his diet. He began avoiding processed foods basically. I don't believe though that he had bowel troubles, but good article over all about his experience overcoming the mental condition.

"Beating Bipolar with nutrition"

http://hunter-gatherer.com/blog/beating-bipolar-nutrition

I'll take a shot :)

I do not believe Crohn's Disease is a symptom of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. However, I believe that there are similar triggers and exacerbating factors.
I believe this also David. I think we sometimes forget that are bodies are esentially machines and they function as a sum of all of their different parts. Our bodies also play host to a bunch of different organisms who are working to create their ideal evironment. Sometimes this can be symbiotic, but often times any little upset in this balance can create all kinds of problems. For example, I just read an article on extreme cases of yeast overgrowth and how much it can influence you mental state.

I think that is why we all say so many times "Everybody is different...". I belive that IBD is a manifestation of our bodies' equilibriums being out of balance. But the causes and effects are different for everybody and the challenge is to find the combo of diet, exercise and medication that is right for you to get it back in line. (note: no scientific evidence here, just my two cents).

Causes of Crohns or Bipolar Disorders may or may not be interrelated. Just an uneducated guess: possibly stress/mania could be a contributing factor to causing Crohns which may then complicate D levels or B12 levels resulting in worsening emotional states? A viscious cycle type process. The mind, body, nutrition connections probably won't be well understood any time soon.

However, probiogenomics is shedding light on gut microbiota and behavioral/emotional states. http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/08/26/1102999108 --this link is specifically about L. Rhamnosus.

A poignant excerpt explains: "Importantly, L. rhamnosus (JB-1) reduced stress-induced corticosterone and anxiety- and depression-related behavior."

Here's further elaboration, though this was only a rat study and it should be noted that L Rhamnosus studies have yet to be carried out on humans: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...probiotic-bacteria-changes-behaviour-in-mice/

Last edited: