• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could this be a partial blockage?

Hey everyone, new guy here.. well ive been lurking around and reading other peoples stories and whatnot for a while but have never signed up. finally i decided i cant relate to other peoples cases anymore, i need a review on my own! Anyways, the past 2 or 3 weeks have been very rough for me. (I've been dealing with crohns disease just over a year and a half now.) In the past 2 weeks or so my pain has gone off the charts. I hardly get any sleep, walk with a hunch, get night sweats, and frequent neusea with occational vommiting. When this all started, whether its a more violent flare than ive ever dealt with or blockage or w/e... it was late at night and i had a terrible urge to use the restroom. when i sat down on the toilet it was like nothing ive ever experienced before. it felt (in my eyes) what it would be like to have a baby. that feeling where all your muscles tense and you loose your breath and you push and push but nothing is happening. i was seeing stars at this point. then it was like a miracle, the stool passed and it seemed to subside. immediately i took a hotbath(ussually makes me feel better, more relaxed.) and maybe 15 minutes later i suffered the same experiance again. the next day i called my gi and left a message about what i had gone through, they set me up for a new appt a few days later and i thought it be fine. however the next few days were like a nightmare on repeat. every morning when i wake up i get that same feeling and ussually end up passing a lot of gas, followed by that same feeling of relief, lay in bed for maybe another 45 minutes then the same thing but with a large/unformed stool. While i was at the doctor visit i explained everything to him and he said he wanted to get me into another colonoscopy in 2 weeks. but he also said he wouldnt do anything for pain/symptoms in the mean time! right now im currently taking 20mg of prednisone every day, over a week now and havent noticed a change at all. occational bentyl for the past year, never noticed any help from that whatso ever, zofran for neusea, and some old percocet from my primary doc last year... the life im suffering with right now is far from acceptable for me, but im not sure if its any worse than anyone else with crohns.... last time i checked in to the ER they said i had cdiff and helped me with pain immediately, and admitted me for a week. this is worse than that was, and when that occured i wouldve said it was 10/10 for pain! i know im being stuborn about going back to the ER, but i dont want to go if i dont have to... anyways im just rambling now, let me know what you guys think :(

So sorry you are dealing with all this. I am not certain what is going on. I have not been diagnosed yet even, I have a colonoscopy coming up next week. I have however experienced something similar about 2 months ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with this horrid pain in my lower gut. It was a lot like labor, it would start off as a horrible cramp and then kind of get real bad and then simmer down and it would last like about 35 to 40 seconds each time. This went on for about an hour or so and then calmed down and I have not had that terrible pain again yet( I pray I dont). I have had a baby and this pain was very similar. I dont know what it was to this day. I was told by a nurse it could have been gas pains. She said Gas pains can be severely painful to even make you double over in pain.

Have you ever has any scans of your small intestines like an MRE or CT scan? Maybe even a small bowel follow through where you have to drink the barium and they take xrays of your small intestines to look for swellings, and narrowings and such.. I think that would be a good idea, suprised your doc did not suggest it. One thing is good is that you are still passing gas and stool. I think with a full obstruction you would not even be able to pass Gas or anything. For now, I would probably eat a VERY light diet, like stuff that is very soft and easy to digest, more soupy and liquidy diet just in case. I mean it could be any number of things going on. It could be just inflammation too. Hopefully others will chime in and give some better advice... Hope you feel better soon.. Hang in there.

Hey everyone, new guy here.. well ive been lurking around and reading other peoples stories and whatnot for a while but have never signed up. finally i decided i cant relate to other peoples cases anymore, i need a review on my own! Anyways, the past 2 or 3 weeks have been very rough for me. (I've been dealing with crohns disease just over a year and a half now.) In the past 2 weeks or so my pain has gone off the charts. I hardly get any sleep, walk with a hunch, get night sweats, and frequent neusea with occational vommiting. When this all started, whether its a more violent flare than ive ever dealt with or blockage or w/e... it was late at night and i had a terrible urge to use the restroom. when i sat down on the toilet it was like nothing ive ever experienced before. it felt (in my eyes) what it would be like to have a baby. that feeling where all your muscles tense and you loose your breath and you push and push but nothing is happening. i was seeing stars at this point. then it was like a miracle, the stool passed and it seemed to subside. immediately i took a hotbath(ussually makes me feel better, more relaxed.) and maybe 15 minutes later i suffered the same experiance again. the next day i called my gi and left a message about what i had gone through, they set me up for a new appt a few days later and i thought it be fine. however the next few days were like a nightmare on repeat. every morning when i wake up i get that same feeling and ussually end up passing a lot of gas, followed by that same feeling of relief, lay in bed for maybe another 45 minutes then the same thing but with a large/unformed stool. While i was at the doctor visit i explained everything to him and he said he wanted to get me into another colonoscopy in 2 weeks. but he also said he wouldnt do anything for pain/symptoms in the mean time! right now im currently taking 20mg of prednisone every day, over a week now and havent noticed a change at all. occational bentyl for the past year, never noticed any help from that whatso ever, zofran for neusea, and some old percocet from my primary doc last year... the life im suffering with right now is far from acceptable for me, but im not sure if its any worse than anyone else with crohns.... last time i checked in to the ER they said i had cdiff and helped me with pain immediately, and admitted me for a week. this is worse than that was, and when that occured i wouldve said it was 10/10 for pain! i know im being stuborn about going back to the ER, but i dont want to go if i dont have to... anyways im just rambling now, let me know what you guys think :(

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Bw321,
Welcome to the forum. If you are in that much pain I would go to the ER. If you leave crohns unchecked you could end up like I did. I went septic and was in the hospital for about 2 1/2 weeks. I lost about 40lbs. I could have died. I don't want to scare you at all, just if you are in pain PLEASE take care of it by going to the Dr. or ER.
Come into the chatroom around 5-9pm (PST) and talk to some of us in there. The people there are a great help.

Are you passing large or small stool? My gut feeling is that you may have inflammation or stricturing in the rectal area, and possibly somewhere else in your digestive tract. From the sounds of your GI, I think my previous one may have moved to Florida! He wouldn't give me anything for severe pain from anal fistulas that I had for about 5 months while waiting for remicade. If the pain gets too bad, go check out the ER please.