• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could this be Crohn's or IBD?

Hi all, I've been reading through the posts on here (which are incredibly helpful) and decided to join to see if any of you can relate to my symptoms.

I've had regular cases of diarrhea off and on for the past two years. Starting in April I began having sharp, shooting pains in my mid abdomen on the left side. I went to a clinic and the doctor said it was H Pylori and gave my a series of anti-biotics and a PPI to take for 2 weeks. During this time my symptoms got worse, and ever since finishing the antibiotics I have had a constant, dull ache with occasional sharp jabbing pains in the area below my sternum, and going down along my right rib cage and abdomen to my waist.

I have also had yellow, mucus stools since anti-biotic treatment. I was on a PPI for most of August, but after an endoscopy ruled out ulcers or gastritis I have since come off them.

So far I have had blood tests, urine tests, abdominal ultrasound, CT Scan, stool test, and endoscopy with each one coming back negative. The only thing that showed anything was the CT scan, which said there was inflammation in my ileum. However, because of where I was experiencing most of my pain (below my sternum), the doctor said that it wasn't relevant to my condition. Speaking to a couple of other doctors though they said it might be referred pain from somewhere else.

Can anyone shed some light on my case? It would be much appreciated!:sign0085:

Welcome. The inflammation in your ileum may or may not indicate IBD. I am not sure about the pain below your sternum. Please keep us posted.

I went through several tests before my Crohn's diagnosis. I was told I had irritable bowel syndrome then colitis. I finally found a better Doctor that looked at me and said I believe it's Crohn's and sent me for a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy showed Crohn's disease in the terminal ileum. Best of luck..get a colonoscopy.

BTW, my first symptom was diarrhea too.

Thanks for the replies, going to try and get an appointment with my GP and GI for a colonoscopy.

Doesn't help that I'm going through an acid rebound phase after stopping my PPI (on day 11 now and have been in burning hell).

Just adding that sometimes a colonoscopy isn´t enough for a diagnosis if your inflammation in beyond the reach of the scope. For me, it was a pill cam that solved the mystery. And fecal calprotectine is a very reliable marker for inflammation.

Can Crohn's cause a constant pain in the upper abdomen? For me it's this aching, sometimes burning feeling that never goes away.

Crohns can do all kinds of things, unfortunately. If your CT scan says everything is fine except for your ileum, then a colonoscopy and/or a pill cam will likely give you a diagnosis. You might need both if you suspect inflammation in areas past your terminal ileum.