• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could This Be IBD?

Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to this forum, but I am trying to find out some information about symptoms I have been having....so I will give some background of what's been going on with me!

Last June I had a horrible spell of sickness. I felt under the weather and achy, feverish and such for about a day or so, with a really upset stomach. So, in the middle of the night I woke up and made a desperate run to the bathroom. I could hardly leave the bathroom because of watery diarrhea. My stomach hurt, I couldn't eat anything, I couldn't sleep, nothing. I spent all night in the bathroom and all of the next day and a half. On top of all of that, I got a severe anal fissure reopened (I have been struggling with fissures, rectal pain, stabbing pains in the rectum etc. for about 2-3 years prior to this). I went in to the doctor and they told me it was either a virus or food poisoning. In total, it took about 10 days to get over that one. (I had many other symptoms...such as waking up at night drenched in sweat and being achy).

Fastfoward....I thought that I was free and clear after that (you know, you can forget it, lol). Well...I had another spell of not feeling too great (just run down) and an upset stomach, and boom...back into the washroom I ran. But, the weird thing is, I felt fine again in about 3-4 hours. So, I kind of ignored that and moved on. Until it happened again about a month later...and then it happened again about 6 weeks after that...

So, I've had these little spells happening ever since the summer. They come on out of nowhere, last for a few hours and then disappear. Usually, but not always, I feel feverish with them and run down, with a headache and sore throat.

On top of all of this...I have very severe GERD and throat pain. I'm at the point where the doctors don't know what to do with me...I reflux absolutely everything I eat and everyday. I take 4x the amount of Nexium recommended, as well as twice the amount of domperidone and then things like Maalox etc. and I still get no relief. I just had my throat scoped by an ENT (because I'm having trouble talking and with major throat pain) and he told me that my vocal cords and throat and such are all inflammed, and that would be why I can't talk.

I had a gastroscopy about 2.5 years ago, and I'm due for another one soon (as they found suspicious cells that put me at a higher risk of stomach cancer).

So, I went in to the doc to ask about the stomach issues and she sent me for blood work and an abdominal ultrasound. Both came back completely normal. So...my question about all this, is what's next? Does this sound like it could be IBD, or something else? She mentioned that it was a possibility and that I should get a colonoscopy done....I am not excited about that one, as I have anal fissures that I can't get to heal and have a ton of rectal pain as it is....I'm scared it will really hurt!

Usually I have a ton of constipation, and really have problems with that. So, I always thought you would have tons of diarrhea if you had IBD, not just every once in awhile! And I have been told I have IBS, but I never did have any actual testing done...the doctor just told me that. So...sorry for the ultra long post, I'm just trying to put everything I can think of that relates in here, to see what you guys think! (I've gotten better advice, at times, from people who have actually been through it, than doctors!)

Thanks everyone! :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: the forum. We are not doctors but we do know possible IBD when we hear it and usually we are right. First off and Ultrasound is insufficient for spotting IBD. You are constipated most times and that could be a sign of a stricture somewhere. All those "mysterious" virus and food poisoning was my life for years prior but I had Diahreah...always ever since I was a teen. It took a full year of agnony and pain with a 4 year old at that time and it was a nightmare. You will probably have to have a colonoscopy and whilst you are scared, it is the best way and less invasive to the body. I heard there is some numbing pain ointment prior to the test. You will be put out or heavily sedated.

Fissues and anal pain is somewhat a common symptom of IBD. I have a Hiatus hernia, and take nexium but not long periods. It is a bone robber.

Get a scope it will help along with biopsies! :hang:

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry you've been having so much trouble :( Two things I would suggest:

1. Have a colonoscopy with biopsies and ask them to test the biopsies for mast calls.

2. Have your vitamin B12 levels tested.

Colonoscopy's really aren't bad. The prep is the hardest part and yes, the first one is scary, but at this point, having another one wouldn't bother me much.

Please keep us updated :)

We also have an undiagnosed club you may want to check out.