• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Couldn't swallow waffles & Syrup

Bufford

Yesterday I toasted up a couple of waffles with pancake syrup and had to toss them into the garbage when I could not swallow them. The first bites were okay, but then the tingling began in the back of my throat causing me to cough and choke. There was no way of getting another fork full down and I had only eaten one of two. I drank some water and had instant relief. What gives, is it the Remicade?

I have enjoyed these for breakfast periodically all my life and I never had a reaction like this before.

Bufford

Thanks, I wonder if its because of my dry mouth I get while sleeping at night. I wake up with a bone dry mouth and can barely drink water its so dry. Dry mouth has been an issue for the past year even in summer. As for Remicade, it seems to be working.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Bufford. I suffer dry mouth a bit too. Glad the remicade seems to be working for you. Maybe try to drink some water just before you eat n see if it helps. Hope it goes away but if it carries on contact your gp n see what he thinks. Best wishes 💕

Bufford

I wake up often during the nights, frequent urination doesn't let me go more than a couple of hours, sometimes more often. I always take a few sips of water to alleviate dry mouth each time i have to get up. Sometimes so dry it is hard to drink and dribbling water trying to get it down. But I have to keep my fluids up or constipation becomes a serious issue for me. Its a hard balance, drink too much and then I find myself going every half hour. Dry mouth goes along with throat thrush, I periodically have to scrap the stuff off of my tongue to swallow properly.

fuzzy butterfly

Oh lordy mate catch 22 going on there eh !. Do you any meds for the throat thrush ?. Do any of your meds cause the dry mouth as a side effect ? Hope you can find a resolution to this ..:hug:

Bufford

I tried having my waffles and syrup for breakfast today, and I enjoyed every bite! I still had dry mouth last night. Not sure if its the meds, the only change is the Remicade, perhaps its old age. I wonder if it has a connection with my variable urination. In the late morning I get very concentrated urine, and later on in the afternoon I sometimes cannot stop peeing and its clear. I mean going every 15 minutes with great volume, only for it to taper off to a drought condition. I keep well hydrated and take water with me when I leave the house, if I don't I risk a miserable case of constipation which I am afraid of due to strictures at my resections.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I do think the dry mouth is most likely from meds and supplements. I too have dry mouth a bit. But, if you're urinating that often I would also get your sugar levels checked by your doctor. If you can't stop, it sounds possible you could be pre-diabetic. It never hurts to check.