• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Couple fistula questions.

1. Is it normal for drainage to have an oder or does that indicate an infection?

2. My boyfriend is having a procedure done next week where they go in and look for branching. Has anyone had this done? The info packet he got said some people take a week off of work after.

3) If they do find branching, how is it treated? He has started Avsola but has only had 2 infusions so far. Third on is at the end of this month.

Thank you! We are new to Crohn’s.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi there - drainage can have odor, especially if it is fecal matter, or there can be infection. OTher things with infection can be fever, swelling/redness around fistula.

Haven't had any exploratory procedure(s) done for fistulas - mine were pretty straightforward.

Treatment can vary - hopefully the Avsola will cause the fistulas to heal without further treatment (I've been on Remicade which closed mine up for me)....it can work pretty quickly - has he been feeling any better since starting the infusions?

Hi there - drainage can have odor, especially if it is fecal matter, or there can be infection. OTher things with infection can be fever, swelling/redness around fistula.

Haven't had any exploratory procedure(s) done for fistulas - mine were pretty straightforward.

Treatment can vary - hopefully the Avsola will cause the fistulas to heal without further treatment (I've been on Remicade which closed mine up for me)....it can work pretty quickly - has he been feeling any better since starting the infusions?
Hi,
He just had his third infusion about a week ago. Difficult to say if it’s working because he’s still on Prednisone. He’ll be finishing that up over the next three weeks. He’s been taking it since June. The colorectal doctor found one more fistula. They placed a seton in that one as well and told him to come back in four or five months and they’ll check to see if the Avsola is working for them. He has a follow-up with the GI doctor early Oct for a follow-up before scheduling his next infusion. He definitely has to use the bathroom less frequently and has less cramping but stools are still really loose. He’s also taking daily iron, multivitamin and probiotic.

That Prednisone I suspect caused my first anal abscess many years ago (within one week it popped up) and it is actually listed as one possible cause. If your boyfriend does not get better and have to suffer one surgery after another, maybe try Betadine cleaning, then honey insertion or honey + crushed antibiotic like Cipro - self made cream. Some sufferers did get better with those. Also Aloe Vera edibles and ointments seem to help a lot in the healing process. (I made another thread about these).

Note: I am no doctor so just another amateur.

Lynda Lynda

WAY before I was diagnosed with Crohn's, I had an anal fistula operated on in 1992. A brutal surgery that left a lot of scaring. No oral or IV medications and no seton, but instead a huge deep cut. It took many, many, many years to get the proper diagnosis of my Crohn's Disease and Bile Acid Malabsorption.