• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Couple of questions

Okay, couple of questions for everyone....

1) Does anyone else seem to have worse pain and problems in cold weather? Is there a link?
I recently visited family in Texas and hardly had any pain, but as soon as I got back to Alaska I ended up in the ER with severe pain. I've been to the ER 3 times since I've moved up here. It's terrible!

2) Speaking of ER, has anyone else had bad experiences with pain killers? Like morphine, delotta, etc.
I cannot take morphine or delotta. It hurts my whole body when the inject it, so much so I cry. And I cannot handle hydrocodone. It makes me high. :(

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar experiences and if it;s linked with Crohn's, or if I'm just a weirdo. Thanks!

Morphine does not work for anyone in my wife's family. Demerol makes her sick as a dog.

The change of climate could be the lack of sunlight and vitamin D. But, it certainly is possible it is just the change itself that is causing it. Kind of a physiological effect of change.

I went to Michigan for a few days when I was having problems and had no symptoms for that period of time. No big climate change. There appears to be a mental link to the disease also, other than just stress. I attribute the change to endorphines, but that is just a guess.

Dan Bergman

Kev

MY mother is allergic to codeine.. Came close to killing her once. As for climate and it's affect... cold weather plays havoc with my dry skin, which apparently is due to an auto-immune disorder. Never knew that till recently. Wonder if it is related? I notice that my disease tends to flare more in late fall and late spring. I dunno why. And, in my trips to the Caribe before being diagnosed, I noticed that lactose intolerance was not something I had to worry about. Milk products at home would have had me off N running, but their milk didn't bother me at all. The sunshine, warmth, humidity solved my skin problems and all my joint pain. I dunno if that's part of the mystery of this disease, or just a facet of humankind that has a lot of retirees moving to those areas to better enjoy their sr years.

I like Hydrocodone. Happily I haven't gotten "dependent" on it ever, but I've also never been a dependency sort of person for any narcotic.

Far as something I had a problem with, Percocet. It made my heart beat fast and made my left arm feel weak. Now I have it on my avoid list.

I hallucinated on Morphine, but that was after a LOT of morphine. When I had my perforated bowel that nearly killed me I had the happy button for pain and after a while at one time I thought I saw flickering yellow light on the wall like fire would make during a fire drill in the hospital just before someone closed my door (it's procedure). I had the fleeting thought of "uh oh, there's a fire...that's nice...click happy button...good night..."

Also hallucinated that a big horror style nasty column of oozing flesh and body parts (Hellraiser or 1980s The Thing style) was rising out of the floor endlessly at the foot of my bed. When I closed my eyes it would go away, but started over again when I opened my eyes. Did it three times before it finally went away.

Though honestly I've had worse hallucinations just through lack of sleep. Never stay up for more than 30 hours straight after having little sleep already lest you start seeing the denizens of the shadowrealm and start hearing voices that you could swear are the minds of the people around you. ;)

I don't take alot or much pain killers. After surgery they hooked a morph drip up, the 2nd day I said I don't like to complain but I might want a little more. They looked and it wasn't even hooked up. AHHHHHH. It just made me tired. My dad had bad reactions to morph, he got paranoid and all with it.

I haven't noticed any difference as to cold or hot weather causing my symptoms to be worse. I really prefer colder weather just because I get uncomfortable more easily in the heat.

As for painkillers, I prefer Hydrocodone over Oxycodone and Morphine except for extreme pain situations in which Morphine is preferable.

I've noticed that I have more joint pain when the weather isn't nice. I know if it's going to storm 'cause my knees hurt more. I'm a human barometer! Though I haven't really noticed a difference due to temperature.

After my surgery they had me on morphine. I think a combination of the morphine and lack of sleep really messed with my head. One day I cried a lot, which I found weird, because I hardly ever cry. Later that same day I had my first ever panic attack. After that they cut back my morphine and gave me something to help me sleep. I felt better after that. Then they sent me home with tylenol 3(codeine). That made me constipated, and led me to the ER for the most humiliating and unpleasant experience of my life.