• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Covid-19 and immunosuppressant medications

I talked today with my gastrologist about starting Entyvio. I had a concern regarding the increased risk of taking the drug during the epidemic.
The information I received:

Based on the initial data we see in Europe and China, patients taking immunosuppressant drugs like Remicade, Humira or Entyvio do not exibit increased symptoms when infected with Covid-19. This is different with Prednisone where the symptoms related to Covid are worse.

I wasn't able to find any information on-line to confirm this information, but thought I would share it with you.

The doctor did suggest to be extra cautious if I decide to take Entyvio. There is always an increased risk from an intestinal infection (stomach flu), but not so much from influenza viruses (in case of Entyvio)

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
With many of these types of drugs, it is not so much you are more susceptible to catching something than you may have a harder time fighting it off if you do contract something......

I've been on Remicade for over 10 years, and usually am the healthiest person in my household. I'm still working here in NY which is considered the epicenter of the pandemic, I've been limiting my interactions with people, taking precautions such as washing hands, using sanitizer, social distancing etc.

I was just tested for the COVID antibodies, will know in 7-10 days what the results are...that should be interesting to see if my husband and/or I (he was tested today too) have had it without knowing.....

Scipio

With many of these types of drugs, it is not so much you are more susceptible to catching something than you may have a harder time fighting it off if you do contract something......
That's been my experience with Stelara. I catch the same one or two colds per year on Stelara that I caught before, but they last 1.5 - 2 weeks instead of the previous 5-7 days.

The Crohn's & Colitis UK created this useful decision tree document:

Based on the choices you make, you will end up in one of three risk groups:

- Shielding (higher risk of severe illness)
- Strick social distancing (moderate risk)
- Social distancing as for general population (low risk)

It is interesting that if you do not take any medications, you are under 70 and have no secondary conditions, but you are in a flare you will still end up in the Moderate Risk group.

If you are taking biologics or immunosuppressants and you are in a flare you will end up in a Higher Risk group.

Based only on the above, without taking into considerations other arguments if you are in a flare it is better to delay treatment since this will move you to the Higher Risk group. Medications take time to work (especially Entyvio).

Attachments

I talked today with my gastrologist about starting Entyvio. I had a concern regarding the increased risk of taking the drug during the epidemic.
The information I received:

Based on the initial data we see in Europe and China, patients taking immunosuppressant drugs like Remicade, Humira or Entyvio do not exibit increased symptoms when infected with Covid-19. This is different with Prednisone where the symptoms related to Covid are worse.

I wasn't able to find any information on-line to confirm this information, but thought I would share it with you.

The doctor did suggest to be extra cautious if I decide to take Entyvio. There is always an increased risk from an intestinal infection (stomach flu), but not so much from influenza viruses (in case of Entyvio)
well, I wouldn't have to do that! I have heard that people with diabetes can become infected and die very quickly and they will not be saved

I've been on Remicade for over 10 years, and usually am the healthiest person in my household. I'm still working here in NY which is considered the epicenter of the pandemic, I've been limiting my interactions with people, taking precautions such as washing hands, using sanitizer, social distancing etc.

I was just tested for the COVID antibodies, will know in 7-10 days what the results are...that should be interesting to see if my husband and/or I (he was tested today too) have had it without knowing.....
Please keep us up-to-date on your test results, Lisa. I live in a state that just reopened, and I'm concerned about returning to work in an office on a university campus.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Please keep us up-to-date on your test results, Lisa. I live in a state that just reopened, and I'm concerned about returning to work in an office on a university campus.
Both my husband and I tested NEGATIVE for antibodies.....yes we have been around (kind of) people who did have Covid - I was on semi-quarantine as a potential contact with someone who tested positive a few weeks ago now...but I didn't get sick, nor did anyone else who worked the same shift with him that day.....