• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crashing hard again

Just when I thought I was on the road to remission, I've crashed for the 5th time. Since all was well I tappered off Prednisone, 60 mg, 40 mg, 20 mg, 10 mg and my last dose last Sunday.

The last three days I've gotten progressively worse. Now I'm running fevers and loosey goosey, as mom used to refere to non solid BM' s. Worst of I feel like Hell, losing fluids 8 to 9 times a day, nausea and no appetite. Going back to a base diet, dinner was peaches in natural juice chopped up and slowly ate.

I will call my doctor tomorrow and ask for 5 mg pills to ease the drop. To get to 10 mg. I cut the pill in half. Can't do that twice, turns it to dust.

I'm trying to keep the faith, hopefully I'll get back on track. It's just that I've been down this road too many times. Regardless, I've got to not be ruled by my fears. I can't panic and,keep the stress low.
Thank God for support.

Scipio

I guess 10 mg to zero was too far of a drop. So are you on Humira or other maintenance drug as you taper off the prednisone? If you are, how long have you been on it? It doesn't appear to doing the job whatever the case.

If you are not on a maintenance drug to take up the slack as the prednisone is tapered, you really need to be. No matter how slowly you taper, going from prednisone to nothing is not going to work for long except in the very mildest cases of CD.

I’ve been on Humira and Imuran for 6 weeks and it’s working, hence I tapered off the steroid. Prednisone teplaves Cortisol helps you regulate your blood pressure, heart rate, and response to stress. After being on it for over three months, my body has to learn how to make cortisol again. I’m not sure how long this will take. I hope to get 5 mg pills, if not for this time, then be prepared.

Thanks for you support,
Michael