• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crazy-ass hair side affect?

crazy-ass hair side affect?

I've been on remicade for several months now and I've gotten the weirdest side affect. My hair has always been crazy fuzzy and curly. (Note my avatar pic). For the last few months it was become a straight/slighty wavy texture. No more corkscrew curls! Anyone else experienced this? The only thing I can think of that caused this is remicade. :O

Also, has anyone had any problems with hair thinning? Maybe it's just because my hair has less volume, but I feel like it's thinning than it use to be. Any comments are welcome :p

ameslouise

I guess a crazy-ass hair side effect is better than a crazy ass-hair side effect!!!!!!

Not sure about the change from fuzzy to straight, but LOTS of our Crohn's med have hair side effects, mostly thinning (except for pred, which thins the head hair and increases the facial hair!). So it wouldn't surprise me if it changes the texture of your hair.

- Amy

AZMOM

You know - you aren't crazy. My daughter isn't on a biologic but during her time on 6MP, her hair has totally changed. She went from soft straight hair to crazy thick wavy coarse hair. I will say we love the new hair but it totally mystifies me. The only thing we can come up with is the meds.

I guess a crazy-ass hair side effect is better than a crazy ass-hair side effect!!!!!!
I was anticipating the latter when I saw the subject!!! :ylol2:

Inwe, I assume you mean your NEW hair growing out has become less curly? If it's the hair you already had, I can't imagine it would be related to a drug you're taking.

I've noticed changes in my hair too, but it never occured to me that it could be attributed to Remicade, which I was on for almost 2 years. My hair used to be mostly straight, with some waves. Now it seems to be getting curlier and curlier. I haven't noticed any changes in coarseness or thickness (mine has always been quite thick) though. I will say that when I was on the 5ASA meds my hair started falling out like crazy though....that went away when I switched meds.

Interesting thought!

AZMOM

Good point, David. Yes, with Claire it was as new hair grew in. Weird......... Our hairdresser was mystified. Then again, sometimes she's just that way. :D

I'm another one who had to see this thread! But no ass-hair story here. darn! I guess this is the one side effect Crohn's won't give us. Maybe with pred...

I was anticipating the latter when I saw the subject!!! :ylol2:

Inwe, I assume you mean your NEW hair growing out has become less curly? If it's the hair you already had, I can't imagine it would be related to a drug you're taking.

It actually seems a little of both. At least it makes it super easy to flat iron now :p

And wow... I didn't realize how the title of my thread could be...misinterperated. haha! Oh my. :biggrin:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi Inwe: Are you enjoying the newly straight hair, or do you miss your curls? What a big change!

In the past several weeks I have taken to just staring at my hair when it dries: it's curly! I know next to nothing about hair but a little Googling suggests it could be from steroids (or, less likely, even the Imuran). Thanks for this post because I never would have connected my curly hair to Crohn's meds!!!!!

Last edited:
Code:
Dang I wish Humira would turn my flat hair curly!

I also misread the title as crazy ass-hair. Which would be far less pleasant.

My hair used to be very straight and now it curls up on the underneath and is VERY frizzy! I used to never have to straighten it, but I do now almost every day. I'm for sure thinking it's the remicade...

You can always count on at least one person to add some humor to these posts, haha.

I have noticed my hair thinning and falling out more and my hair was already fine and thin. Darn it. But, I also moved to a colder climate than I am used to so my hair looks flatter in general because of the colder weather. But I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination because we've had such a problem with clogged drains around here. Annoying. I can't be sure if it's the Humira or Imuran--could be both.

My daughter was on Humira for about 2 yrs and she lost almost half of her hair, we did not notice it when she was in high school and on Rhemicade for 4 yrs. I think it was either the Humira or just being on these drugs for so long - I was told the protein needed to grow hair has a harder time when the immune system is messed with. She take Asecol now but hair is still thin but not as bad. Also she had to take Biotin every day or it will start falling out faster. She is 26.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
My pin straight hair has gotten wavy in the past few years, but I think it started before Humira or Remicade.
My ass-hair has not gotten wavy.

Astra

Feel for you!
My hair is as flat as a nun's tit!
And I'm only on Pentasa!
Maybe it IS the Pentasa!