• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Creatine with ostomy

My dear Crohn's friends,

It has been quite a while since I have last posted here but I am really beginning to feel better and after exercising for a bit I'm hoping to start really working out soon. I was wondering if any of my fellow ostomates have taken protein powders or creatine so supplement their protein intake and to take as an after workout drink. I've done this in the past but it has been close to 10 years since I've last used protein powder and so I do not know if I am able to take it. If I am which kinds would you all suggest?

I am emailing my GI about the matter but I figure I would also ask you all here. Also, if I am allowed to I will post to let those who are in a similar position know what can and cannot be taken with an ostomy.

Thank you all very much and I hope that you all have had and have a pleasant day.

Jeff

I received my response and they said it was okay to take both creatine and protein powder. I'm excited to begin weight lifting again as it has been way too long.

I work out 6 days a week and take both creatine and a protein powder and slowly been gaining weight but I have to be careful with my protein shakes. I cant drink my protein fast or it will shoot right though me but if I drink it slowly after my workout I seem to do fine. Its the same with food. I have to eat small meals all day, nothing big at once. Creatine doesn't seem to bother me.

I don't know about Creatine but since starting at college in Colorado my room mate recommended "MusclePharm Combat" protein powder to me. I've been using it and I have to say I really am liking it. It has some digestive enzymes in it so I think that helps me with the digestion and what not.