• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn’s and Thyroid Disease. Help please.

Crohn’s and Thyroid Disease. Help please.

Hi everyone

I am new to this site. I was being investigated for Crohn's after a year of hell. I have had to stop work for months due to many symptoms affecting my nervous system and muscles. I had severe muscle spasm and nerve burning pain mainly in my legs and chest. I started some meds and got that under control. I then started to developed severe stomach spasms, bladder spasm and diarrhea. When I went for my fistula surgery she thought oh now I think you have Crohn's. I should start back about 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with a fistula from a ruptured annular cyst ,the surgeon said we will test you for IBD just to make sure this is not the cause.
Well lets just say at one point I was on almost 20 pills a day for spasm, stomach pain, nerve pain etc.... I was though 4 MRIs, 2 CT scans, 3 scopes and much blood work. The only thing they found was I have peri anal disease osteo arthritis, " a bad stomache" or irritable bowel, mild divertilosis, and cysts on my liver that are no importance. My question is because I have autoimmune thyroid disease, is ther anybody that has gone though this same hell and had a diagnosis after years of testing and finally is shows up. My family on both sides have autonimmune diaseses such as Crohn's, RA, Celiac, thyroiditis. Is there anyway the scope didn't show anything because I am in remission, I do feel my stomach in under control right now.
Sorry about the long story but its the first time Ive posted something

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, mitties!

I'm sorry to hear everything you've been through. It sounds very frustrating. :(

Just to clarify, were you diagnosed with Crohn's or is it just a possibility?

If you do have Crohn's and it goes into remission, scopes done while in remission can come back clear. Unless you have scar tissue formed from pervious flares, there might be no evidence of Crohn's at all.

:hug: I'm glad you're feeling better now, and I hope it stays that way!

Hi Sarah

I wasn't diagnosed with Crohn's but the colorectal surgeon said the course of what I was going through sounded like they would end us diagnosing me after the scope or ctscan. I have been feeling better and am going to take a Dr break, which is nice;). I see general medicine next month and see what they do but I still think it is possible in time that all these symptoms will have to show something. I'm sure there are many of you that have gone through years of tests too before diagnosis.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome. Wow, you've been through so much :( My heart goes out to you! I can only imagine what it must be like to be undiagnosed after all of that. I pray that your doctors are able to get to the bottom of this soon though I understand your need for a break :)

We're here for you anytime you need us.